If you look closely on your desktop, you are going to see blue and yellow shield on several icons. Usually, an application is owning a blue and yellow shield with its icon. It means that whenever the user will open that application, the ‘User Account Control’ will allow the user to open that application. It may be annoying because it will be able to decrease the look of the desktop background. However, you do not worry about that as there are simple ways to fix this issue on your computer. Just go through this fix and repeat those steps for every icons that are having this blue and yellow shield.
Fix 1: Add a prefix to the file path
Based on the research, adding a prefix to the file path will be able to fix this issue. If you want to try doing this way, just follow these steps below:
- At the first step, you have to right click on the icon which is having the blue and yellow shield icon and then click on Properties.
- After that, you are able to go to the Shortcut tab. Please copy and paste the line below in the starting of the “Target:” location.
cmd /c start “”
- Next, you only need to click on Apply and Ok to save the changes.
- You may will view an Access Denied error message on your computer.
- In this step, you have to click on “Continue” button to continue the process.
Now, you are able to launch this application without prompted by User Account Control and the icon will not have the blue and yellow shield.
If you see that icon of that application has altered into a Command Prompt icon, then you have to do these easy steps below to change the icon of that application.
- The first thing that you have to do is to right click on the icon having the blue and yellow shield icon and then click on Properties.
- After that, you are able to go to Shortcut tab.
- Then, you have to click on ‘Change icon’ to change the icon on your computer.
- The next step that you have to do is to choose the icon that was set before for the application.
- Please click Ok to save the changes.
- The last step is to click on Apply and Ok to save the changes on your computer.
Fix 2: Reboot your computer
This way you are able to remove the blue and yellow shield from the icons on the desktop easily. To reboot Windows 10, you have some methods.
Reboot in a Normal Way
This is the common method. Most of you may know this way. If you want to try reboot your computer using this way, you have to do these easy steps below:
- At the first step, you are able to open Start on Windows 10.
- After that, you have to press the Power button and then choose Restart from the popup menu.
- Next, your Windows 10 computer will be able to restart.
In addition, there is a second option to do a normal reboot/restart of Windows 10. Here are steps to do that:
- Firstly, Right-click on the Start button or press the Windows key and the X key at the same time to open the Power User Menu.
- After that, you have to go to Shut down or sign out.
- In this step, you need to choose Restart from the popup sub-menu of Shut down or sign out.
- Then, your computer will be able to start the reboot process. Now, you only need to wait the process until finish patiently.
Reboot using Ctrl + Alt + Del
Also, you are able to use the combination keys to restart your Windows 10 computer. Even, you are able to use this way in all versions of Windows computers. Here is a step-by-step tutorial for you:
- At the first step, you have to press Ctrl + Alt + Del at the same time on your computer to open the shutdown dialog box.
- After that, you are able to click on the Power button which is on the lower-right side of your computer screen.
- Now, you have to choose Restart from the pop-out menu.
Fir note: The shutdown dialog box can be different in different versions of Windows. However, all of them will be able to show you the option to reboot your computer.
Reboot/Restart from Command Prompt
Another method to reboot your Windows 10 computer is through Command Prompt. To be specific, you will be able to use the shutdown command to restart Windows 10. Now, you are able to do these easy steps below to restart your Windows 10 computer from Command Prompt:
- The first thing that you have to do is to press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to open Run.
- The second step, you have to type cmd into the search box.
- Please press Enter to access Command Prompt.
- After that, you need to type shutdown /r in Command Prompt and then press Enter.
Here, the parameter /r signifies that it will reboot/ restart your computer but not only shut it down. /s is the command which will shut down your computer. Then, your computer will begin to restart as you want.
Fix 3: Disable UAC (User Account Control) by moving its slider to the lowest position
This way removes the shield overlay only from icons and Start Menu items. However, will not be removed from Control Panel applets and context menus.
- Please open Command Prompt. You will find it in the Start Menu.
- Then, execute the line below, pressing Enter after each line:
TaskKill /IM “Explorer.exe” /F
Cd /D “%LocalAppData%”
Del “IconCache.db” /A
For your information, the last command will be able to restart your computer. So, make sure that you save your work before executing.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…