Upgrading to Windows 10 probably has just been done by you. But then, you think that you want to go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 because of some reasons. The question is, is it impossible to downgrade Windows OS from 10 to 7 or 8.1?
Well, you are able to downgrade the OS from Windows 10 to 7 or 8.1 and the method is easy. However, before you downgrade your OS, you need to note that you can do that if you have met the requirements as you are able to read below.
- You need to note that when you install Windows 10, it means that you upgrade the OS. When you do that, you do a clean installation and you let the upgrade wizard save your files and programs.
- You have not used Windows 10 for more than one month.
- You do not delete the Windows.old folder in the drive system C: \. For your information, the Windows.old folder was created when you upgraded to Windows 10 and some people may have deleted it because they want to save spaces on the hard drive or solid state drive (SSD).
Do you meet the requirements above? If not, it means that you have to reinstall Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 because the Recovery option on the Windows 10 system will not appear.
The Steps to Downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
And here are the steps that you are able to follow if you want to install Windows 7 from Windows 10.
- The first step that you have to take is to open the “Settings” that you can find on the “Start Menu”.
- And then, you have to click on the “Update & Security”.
- In this step, if your PC was previously upgraded from Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you have to click on the “Recovery” and then click on the “Go back to Windows 8”. However, if your PC was previously upgraded from Windows 7, you have to click on the “Go back to Windows 7” option.
- Now, you will be asked why you want to go back to the previous OS. You can choose one of the options available by ticking on the option.
- And then, you have to click on the “No Thanks” option to skip the updating check. For your information, Windows gives updates so that you may be able to use Windows 10 more comfortably than before.
- Next, you need to click on the “Next” option until “Go back to Windows 8” stage.
- And then, click on the “Go back to Windows 8” if you want to restore your previous Windows.
That’s all the steps for downgrading your Windows from Windows 10 to Windows 7 or 8.1. It is important for you to note that Windows will restart and restore the Windows to the previous version after 10 minutes. After that, you can use your Windows again.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…
Leave a Reply