If you find that Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host consume high CPU, then you have to fix it. Here, we have some methods that you are able to apply for fixing the issue. Also, we will inform you about the reasons why this issue can happen.
Methods For Fixing Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host Consuming High CPU
Below, there are some methods fox fixing Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host which consumes high CPU. You are able to try the first method and if it does not work, you can go on trying another method.
Closing Process and Disabling Windows Search Service
When you search something, you may find that Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host consume a lot of CPU usage. Howeve, it is fine because it means that now the indexing service is working intensively on collecting information and rebuilding the search index.
However, if you find that high CPU issue happen without any reasons, you are able to try to fix it by closing this process and disabling the Windows Search service.
How to close this process? The tutorial below will help you to do that.
- First, you have to right click on the blank area of the taskbar.
- After that, from the menu, you have to select Task Manager.
- Then, under the Processes tab, you have to find this process and then right click on it. Then, you have to choose End Task.
Now, how to disable Windows Search Service? You are able to follow the steps below.
- First, you have to press Windows + R keys to open Run.
- After that, in the box, you have to type msc and then hit Enter.
- When you are in the Services window, the thing that you have to do is to scroll down and find Windows Search service. After you find it, you have to right click on it.
- Now, you must select Properties.
- And, when you are on the new window, you have to expand Startup type and then choose Disabled.
- At last, click on OK.
Rebuilding Search Index
Another method that you are able to apply for fixing SearchFilterHost.exe Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host which consumes high CPU usage is to rebuild search index. How to do that? You are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open Control Panel. Then, you have to make sure that you are in Icons.
- After that, you need to click on Indexing Options.
- And then, you have to click on Modify.
- In this step, you have to remove all the check marks except OS (C:) drive and then click on OK.
- Now, you have to click on Advanced button and you have to click on Rebuild button under Troubleshooting.
- Here, there will be a message which says that rebuilding the index might take a long time to complete. It is also stated that some view and search results might be incomplete until rebuilding is finished.
- The thing that you have to do here is to click on OK and then you have to wait until it completes the rebuilding process.
Using Indexer Troubleshooter
For your information, Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host is a part of Windows search and indexer. So, running indexer troubleshooter can be one of your options to fix the issue related to Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host. How to use indexer trobleshooter? You are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to press Windows + X keys to bring up Settings.
- After that, you have to go to Search and then choose Search Windows. After that, you have to scroll down the page and then click on Run the indexer troubleshooter to resolve common search issues.
- In this step, you have to click on Next and then you have to choose the option which says Search or Indexing is slowing down the computer. After that, you have to click on the Next and wait until the Troubleshooter discovers and fixes the issues and reboots your PC.
The Causes of Search Filter Host Errors
If you find that there is an error of Search Filter Host on your Windows 10 or 8.1 such as consuming high CPU usage, the reasons can vary as you are able to see in the list below.
- It can happen because there is incomplete installation of the Windows operating sytem.
- There is a corruption of search filter host file, Windows OS files or applications by the virus.
- The Windows Registry Keys which are associated with Windows OS or searchfilterhost,exe have ben corrupted.
- There is another application which is conflicting with the Windows operating system.
What Is Search Filter Host?
Since you find an error related to Search Filter Host where you find that it consumes a lot of CPU usage, then you may wonder what it is. The Search Filter Host process is a part of Windows Search Indexer. The original Search Filter Host file is definitely a Windows system file. However, there are a lot of viruses which use the same name to make it unnoticed. You are able to find the original file of Search Filter Host in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Now, what is Search Indexer? It is a Windows program which functions to index and cache files on Windows PC. It permits you to be able to find files easily and quickly. You are able to configure its settings from the Control Panel. Search Filter Host also can help you to filter the results which are rendered by the Search Indexer.
If the Search Filter Host is obsolete or defective, it can cause problems for your PC. The problems range from slowness to error messages. If you want to remove Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host from your PC, yoou have to follow the steps below.
- First, you have to click on the Windows Start button. You can find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- After that, you have to type the word uninstall.
- Here, you must click on the Add or Remove Programs.
- Then, find Windows Search or the program in the list of displayed applications.
- You have to click on the program and then click on Uninstall.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…