If you are having the Windows 10 error: The requested value cannot be determined, then you have come to the right page. Usually, this occurs when you are copying a file or folder from an Android phone or iPhone to Windows 10 PC.
Best Solutions To Fix Error: The Requested Value Cannot Be Determined
As with most Windows 10 errors, there are solutions to fix this frustrating error message. We have outlined some of the best solutions below. You do not have to try them all. Just ensure that you are confident in what you are doing and that you follow the steps carefully.
Solution 1: Disconnect and then reconnect your mobile device
The first solution, we suggest you to disconnect your mobile device and then reconnect it again to your PC. Probably, there is an issue with your physical connection, hence occur the error message. What you have to do:
- Simply, you are able to eject your mobile device from your PC.
- After that, you have to open File Explorer and find your mobile device’s name.
- The next step that you have to do is to right-click on it and hit Eject.
- Afterwards, pull out the USB connector and try to connect it again.
- Once connected, you need to drag and drop the entire DCIM folder once again. Hopefully, the error no longer exists.
In alternative, you are also able to use a different USB cable or try another USB port.
Solution 2: Reboot your PC
Occasionally, your PC needs to solve the simplest problem is a fresh start. Now, you are able to try rebooting your PC. To reboot your PC, do these easy steps:
- Firstly, go to the Start menu.
- After that, you have to click the Power icon, and choose Restart.
- Windows will restart automatically.
- After Windows has restarted, you are able to drag and drop the folder again.
Solution 3: Upload the files to a cloud service
To fix the error, you are also able to use third-party services like OneDrive. Before that, you have to ensure that your Smartphone is connected to the internet and upload all files to a cloud service like Google Drive. Next, you will be able to download them to your Windows 10 PC.
Solution 4: Change the file and folder permission
For this particular solution, you need to log in to your PC as an administrator. Then, simply follow these steps below:
- At the first step, you have to choose and right-click on the folder you are trying to copy.
- After that, you are able to select Properties.
- Please navigate to the Security tab.
- Then, you are able to click your PC’s name under the Group or user names section.
- Afterwards, click the Edit button and select your user name.
- Please tick the box next to the Allow to get permissions option.
- lastly, click Ok.
Solution 5: Make a new local user account
frequently, your Windows 10 cannot read your local user profile correctly, keeping you from accessing any data. For this case, you need to make a new local user account to get rid of the issue. Here is steps by steps on what to do:
- Firstly, go to Microsoft Management Console. You will be able to do this by clicking the Start button, and then typing mmc into the search field. Press Enter. When prompted to confirm, give your administrator password.
- After that, you are able to choose Local User and Groups.
- Then, go to User -> Action and choose at the New User.
- Give the information needed and click Create.
- Lastly, close the dialog box when the new local user account is made.
Solution 6: Transfer the files by batch
In case the error is triggered because there are lots of files in the folder. For this case, you are able to try to transfer them by batch.
Solution 7: Delete the SD card and use a card reader
If you still cannot copy the files to your Windows PC but they are saved on an SD card, then, you will be able to delete or remove the card and insert it into a card reader. After that, you have to plug it into your PC and copy the files from there.
Solution 8: Scan for virus or malware entities
You may want to try scanning your PC for any virus or malware entities. You have to know that virus, malware, rootkits, and other kinds of threats can avoid you from dragging and dropping an entire DCIM folder from your Smartphone to your PC. Ensure that you use a trusted antivirus program to scan your PC. Please download one from the official website to make sure you are getting a genuine program. After downloading and installing the program, you are able to run a quick scan and allow the program do its job. When the scan is completed, decide whether or not you want to remove any threats detected or have them quarantined.
The Causes of Error: The Requested Value Cannot Be Determined
The error may occur while you are copying a file or folder by dragging and dropping. Because there are lots of files in one folder, Windows 10 cannot be able to support the entire transfer process.
Other causes include the following:
- If you are copying a file that is larger than 4 GB, there is a chance that you will get the error message.
- Several flash drives, SD cards, and external peripherals come with physical switches which can write-protect disks to keep them from being infected by virus or malware entities.
- If there is no enough free disk space and the size of file you are copying is too large, then the transfer cannot be completed.
- The target location is damaged. If the partition is corrupted or damaged, it can no longer read or write data. If you do not remove your Smartphone device from your PC safely, it is likely to get affected by that problem.
- The files are encrypted. Most users encrypt their files so cannot be copied to other locations.
- The files you are copying might be damaged or corrupted.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…