Microsoft offers Office 365. Do you know what it is? It is an online application which is designed to meet small business software needs. If you think that it is an online version of Microsoft Office, it is more than that. Office 365 offers you subscription plans which include having access to Office applications and other productivity services which are permitted over the internet. Those include Lync web conferencing and Exchange Online hosted email for business, and additional online storage with OneDrive and Skype world minutes for home.
As explained above that it offers you subscription plans. For your information, there are a lot of Office 365 plans also include the desktop version of the latest Office applications which you are able to install across multiple computers and devices. If you want to enjoy all features of Office 365, you are able to subscribe and the subscription plans of Office 365 can be paid monthly or annually.
Getting Started with Office 365
- To get started with this app, you have to choose your domain and create user accounts. You are able to add your own domain to your Office 365 if you want to access email from your official company account. Also, you have the option to choose the domain which is provided by Office 365. If you have chosen your option, then you have to create a user account with password protection to be able to log in and access the programs of Office 365.
- Then, you have to set your email account. The Office 365 can be accessed through an Exchange Online and Outlook Web app. The Exchange Online app permits you to be able to manage your contacts, email and calendar all in one in a single application through the Outlook Web App. When you make your user accounts, Office 365 provides mailboxes for each user account you create. As an administrator, you will have control of the settings for each user account and the mailboxes as well. If you want, you are also able to choose to import your email contacts to your Office 365 email account and it depends on which email provider you use.
- In this step, you have to set up team-site and the important documents. So, it will be able to be accessed from anywhere. Office 365 will automatically create one team-site when signing up so you will be required to add the relevant documents and permit your team members access rights to be able to use it. The members of your team will also be permitted to use Office 365 applications like OneNote, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Here, you have to organize your mobile access. In the cloud, data storage in Office 365 is done. It gives you huge convenience and also flexibility to be able to access data from the comfort of your mobile phones and other devices such as PCs and tablets. If you want to set up your personal mobile devices, you will have to set up Lync for mobile devices or go through the Mobile Phone setup Wizard.
- In this step, you have to choose online communication channels. Through Lync, you are able to see which of your coworkers are online. So that you will know who is available for messaging, audio and video calls. Even, you are able to make presentations by using a virtual whiteboard. It is a good option for you to do remote working and collaborating with teams.
- You are able to create a public website. By using SharePoint Online, you are permitted to create your own professional website for your organization. If you have had a website, then you are able to point Office 365 to your current website.
- Now, you are able to make everyone familiar. If the process of setup is done, now you are able to permit your team members to know and provide them with the relevant instructions and guidance on how to make it optimally. You are able to let them know of their user access rights and permissions through email.
How to Access Portal Office 365
If you want to access the portal of Office 365, you are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to access portal.office365.com.
- After that, you have to enter your credential username and password.
- After entering these fields, you have to click on the Sign In button.
- Now, you will be directed to the main page of office 365.
Things in the Main Page of Portal Office 365
In the main page of the portal, there are a lot of options as you are able to see in the list below.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and one note drive. These are office applications which can be used through cloud not locally.
- Outlook. You will have to enter your email. It is an outlook web app as on premise exchange.
- OneDrive. It is a storage cloud feature which permits a synchronization between your local computer storage and Cloud storage.
- Calendar. It guides you through your calendar page.
- Site and newsfeed. It is a cloud SharePoint.
- Admin. It is the control panel for administrators to be able to control the entire environment like manage Cloud Users, Lync, Mailboxes, Yammer, and SharePoint 1.2 Manage Environment using Admin Page.
How to Create in Office 365 for Business
With Office 365, you are able to create and work on files online.
- You must sign in to office 365.
- After that, you have to choose OneDrive in the Office Online app launcher.
- Then, you must select New and then choose the type of file that you want to create. Or, you are able to choose a file that you have already created.
- Then, you are able to edit and add new content. Office online will save automatically.
How to Save in Office 365 for Business
In Office 365, you are able to upload files to OneDrive for business.
- The first thing that you have to do is of course to sign in to your Office 365 account.
- Then, you have to select OneDrive in the app launcher. If you are not able to find the app that you are looking for, from the app launcher, you have to choose All Apps to see an alphabetical list of the Microsoft 365 apps available to you. From there, you are able to search for a specific app.
- Now, you have to select Upload and then choose Files or Folders.
- You have to select Files or Folders. Or, you are able to drag and drop files onto the window.
How to Collaborate in Office 365 for Business
You may want to share files and folders in Office 365 for business. Then, you are able to do that by following the steps below.
- First, you have to sign in to your Office 365 account.
- After that, you have to select OneDrive in the Office Online app launcher.
- Then, you must choose a file or folder.
- In this step, you have to select Share Link to send an email or Get Link.
- It is important for you to know that you are also able to share the file directly from the Excel, Word, and PowerPoint desktop apps.
How to collaborate? If you have shared a file from OneDrive for business, then you are able to work on that file together at the same time. How to do that?
- First, you need to open the file on your desktop by using Excel, Word or PowerPoint. You are also able to work on the file together in Office online.
- Then, in the Share pane, there is information for each co-author and who is editing in real time.
- If they are also using Word for the web or Word 2016 and have agreed to share changes automatically, you will be able to see their work when it happens.
- If you see colored flags, they will show you exactly where in the document each person is working.
- Instantly, you are able to chat with the people who are working in the document by using Skype for Business.
If you want to use Skype for business, here is the guide for you.
- First, you are able to start conversation with voice, IM, or video calls.
- Then, you are able to see when your contacts are available online, in a meeting or presenting.
- After that, you have to set industrial-strength security for meetings.
- You are able to broadcast online to a large audience.
- Next, you are able to present your screen during meetings or give control to others.
- You are able to use Skype for business in other Office programs to call, chat or join a meeting with a click.
Other Things to Know About Office 365
It is important for you to know that now Office 365 is changed to Microsoft 365. They change the name to point to the various features and also the benefits which are completed with the subscription. Microsoft 365 offers all of the things that you find in Office 365 including the best Office applications, smart cloud services and advanced security.
As Office 365 is changed into Microsoft 365, you may wonder what are the new things here. As a subscriber of Microsoft 365, you will get new and improved Office features regularly. In the version 16.0.13328.20210, you are able to get these new things.
- It will switch Office themes automatically. Office will automatically switch the themes to match your Windows 10 theme settings. You are able to go to File and then choose Account and select Use System Setting under the Office Theme drop down.
- You are able to save shapes as pictures. In just a few clicks, you are able to save a shape, icon or other object as a picture file so you are able to reuse it elsewhere.
- There is One-Click Writing Suggestions. You are able to apply writing suggestions with a single click. There is an updated Editor pane which makes it easy for you to navigate between suggestions.
- You are able to make polished Visio diagrams in Excel. You are able to create data-driven diagrams like flowcharts or organizational charts from data in a worksheet.
- There is a built-in translator to break the language barrier. Now, add-ins for translation are not required anymore. In a message, you just have to right click to be able to translate specific words, phrases, or the whole message.
- It has a grammar checker. Outlook will mark grammar error when you type. So, you are able to apply suggestions with a single click.
- It permits you to have the same signature for all devices. Your signature will be saved in the cloud. You are able to create it once and then you are able to use it everywhere you use Outlook.
- Your Outlook settings are in the cloud. You are able to choose your Outlook for Windows settings like Automatic Replies, Focused Inbox and Privacy and you are able to get to them on any computer.
In Microsoft 365, you are able to change the look and feel of all your Office programs by changing the Office theme or background. How to change the background color and design of all your Office programs? You are able to go to File, and then access Options. After that, you have to choose General and then choose Office Theme.
If you want to use the dark grey theme, you are able to use it. It is suitable for you who like a softer take on high-contrast visuals. Do you want to use a black theme? If you want to use it, it is important for you to know that it is only available if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription. If you are a subscriber of Microsoft 365, you have to make sure that you have the latest version of Office. The black themes will provide the highest-contrast visual for your Office theme.
Do you want a classic look? Then, you are able to choose white theme. If you want a background like the Spring background on a dark gray theme, it will add a little interest to the top right corner of your Office programs. You are able to do that by going to the File and then choosing Account. Then, you have to pick an Office background from the list. So every PC which is connected to your Office account will use the same background.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…