Aternos is a personal Minecraft server where you are able to play with your friends all times. It is free to make a server here and even there is no possibility to pay for anything. Aternos is also easy to use. You can prove it by trying to make an Aternos server for Minecraft through the steps below.
Steps to Make An Aternos Server
Don’t think that you will have to go through some complicated steps when you want to make a server in Aternos because here it will be very easy. The thing that you have to do is just to press the buttons. So, here are the steps to make an Aternos server.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the official website of Aternos which can be accessed at aternos.org in your browser.
- When you are on the Aternos website, you have to create your server and account. You can do that by clicking on the Play button at the right bottom of the Aternos homepage.
- When you are on the page which says ‘Welcome to Aternos’, click on the Create Your Server button.
- Then, you will have to enter a username to make a server and then click on the Next button.
- After that, you have to enter your email address and also your password. Re-type your password and then hit the Sign Up button.
- After you complete the steps above, it is time for you to start your server. You are able to do that by clicking on the Start Your Server menu. And then, click on the green Start button.
- In this step, you have to connect to your server. You have to enter the server address that you have created and you enter it in Minecraft server address bar.
- At last, click on the Join Server button.
That’s the steps for making Aternos server for Minecraft. So, what do you think? It is easy, isn’t it? If you prefer to watch the tutorials in the form of video, you are able to access Aternos channel on Youtube and there you will find a video entitled How to: Create A Free Minecraft Server which was uploaded in February 2018. Now, this video has been watched more than 391k times with more than 5.6k likes. On this channel, you will also find the other tutorials related to Aternos things.
Connecting To Your Server
Connecting to your server is one of the steps that you have to do after you make a server in Aternos. To connect to your server, you have to copy the IP address and then you have to enter it in your Minecraft client as a new server or with Direct Connect. On the server page, the IP address can be found by clicking on the Connect button when the server is online.
So, if you want to find your IP address, you have to make sure that your server is online. The sign that you are online is that the status on the server page should be green. Also, there must be labeled with Online. If you have problems when you are trying to connect to your server, you are able to try to refresh the page and then verify again whether your server is online or not.
Do you want to try the DynIP? But, what is it? Well, it is an alternative IP address for your server. It can help you to be able to connect to your server directly. For your information, the DynIP changes every time you start your server so that it is not like the regular IP. How to view the DynIP? You can view the DynIP by clicking on the Connect button on the server page while your server is online or an i icon when you are using Bedrock or Pocketmine. Then, you have to copy it and then enter it as the IP to connect to your server.
The Reasons Why We Need the DynIP
The first that you have to understand is the Domain Name System (DNS). It is important for you to know that every machine which is connected to the internet has an IP address. An IP address is composed of different numbers. As humans, sometimes we are not really good at remembering numbers. So, some people invented a system to give names to these numbers, the Domain Name System.
Whenever you enter the domain in your browser or in your Minecraft client, your computer will look this name up and then find the numbers behind this name to be able to connect to the server. Your computer will look up the domain name by asking a DNS server. If then this DNS server does not know the IP address behind the name, then it will ask the next DNS server which knows the correct IP address.
For your information, every DNS server and also your computer save the IP addresses behind domain names for a short time. Why? It is to avoid unimportant requests to other DNS servers and it is something which is called ‘caching’.
Aternos provide a highly dynamic system. It ensures the best possible use of their limited resources. So, your server will be able to start always on a different machine with a different IP address and port than before. You may want to be easy in connecting to your server without having to enter a different server IP every time. If so, you do not have to worry because Aternos automatically creates and manages a domain name for your server. In every beginning, the name of this domain is updated. Then, it will direct to a different IP address and a different port. As explained in Aternos site that your computer will look this up for you, but if a server has a long caching time, then the IP address and the port are not updated yet and you try to connect to a wrong IP address which does not work. So, the existence of the DynIP permits you to be able to connect to the correct IP address and port directly. However, due to these changes with every start, using it can be annoying. So, how to fix it?
There is a temporary fix that you are able to do. What is it? You are able to temporary flush your DNS cache so that your computer will forget about all cached IP addresses behind the domain names. However, it is important to note that if a DNS server has a long caching time, it may not help.
If you want to fix this issue permanently, the thing that you have to do is to change your DNS server which is the first DNS server that your computer uses to look up the domain names. If you do not know what public DNS that you have to use, well, you are able to use any public DNS server as you wish. However, if you need a recommendation, then the Google Public DNS can be your choice because of its speed and reliability. If there is a connection issue on your phone, the Cloudflare DNS app can be used by you to be able to change the DNS server easily. It is more secure and faster as well.
How to Flush Your DNS Cache?
As explained above that flushing your DNS cache is a temporary fix that you can do to fix errors related to DNS. How to flush your DNS cache? The steps below can help you to do it on Windows.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open Start. You are able to do that by clicking the Windows logo which can be found in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Alternatively, you can press the Win button on your keyboard.
- After that, you have to type this: command prompt into the Start. By doing it, it will search your computer for the Command Prompt app.
- Then, click on the Command Prompt. It is important for you to note that it should be the first icon that you can find at the top of the Start window. By clicking it, it will open the Command Prompt app.
- In this step, you have to type this: ipconfig /flushdns and then you need to press Enter so that it will clear the DNS cache on your PC.
- After that, you must restart your web browser. Now, you will be able to connect to any DNS pages.
If you are on Mac, you can clear the DNS cache by following the steps below.
- First, you have to open Spotlight which can be found in the top-right corner of the screen. Alternative way to open Spotlight is to press Command + Space.
- After that, you need to type this: terminal into Spotlight so that it will search your Mac for the Terminal application.
- In this step, you have to click on the Terminal and you should find it in the first option at the top of the Spotlight results.
- And now, you have to type this code into Terminal: sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder;say DNS cache has been flushed. After that, you have to press Return so that it will run the DNS flush command.
- The next thing that you have to do is to enter the password of your Mac if it is prompted. The password that you have to enter is the password when you are logging into your Mac. By doing this, it will complete the DNS flush process. Even though the terminal will not show your keystrokes as you type, it will record them.
- At last, you must restart your web browser and now you will be able to connect to any DNS again.
Options in The Server
In your server, there are some options. You may not be familiar with them so that here we will explain some of them.
It defines the numbers of players who can play on your server at the same time. It does not give any effect on the performance of your server.
It defines which gamemode which will be applied to players which never played on your server before. You are able to switch the gamemode just for you or for a short time, you are able to use the /gamemode command instead.
If this option is enabled, it means that only players on your whitelist can join your server. By enabling this option, it will help you to protect your server from guests which are not invited.
If you enable this option, it means that you permit people with a free or non premium Minecraft account to join your server. If you change this option, it will cause fundamental changes to your server. Your OP and whitelist may not be able to work anymore and your playerdata such as position, achievements and inventory will be lost. So, if you changed it accidentally, just change it back. If you wish your OP and whitelist to be able to work again after you change the option, you need to remove all players from these lists and then you must add them again.
If you enable this option, the players will be able to hit each other.
If you enable this option, the achieved achievements are shown in the chat.
It permits players on your server to fly even if they are in survival mode as long as they have a mod which is installed that provides this ability.
If will configure if animals will spawn on your server.
This option will configure if monsters or hostile mobs will spawn on your server. For your information, if the difficulty is set to peaceful, this option will give you no effect.
It will configure if villagers will spawn on your server.
It configures the timezone for your server. If you want to see the correct timestamps in the console or in messages of your server, you are able to set it to your local timezone.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…