Since you are a new user of Apple products, you may not be familiar with MAC Address. You need to know about it because it will be beneficial for you to connect the iOS device to a specific router and other purposes. So, here we provide you some information about locating MAC addresses on Apple Products.
How to Locate MAC Address on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
Knowing MAC address is important when you want to connect your iOS device to a specific router, provide it to a systems or network administrator using Wake on LAN, or for any other purposes. So, how to locate MAC addresses on Apple products such as iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. To be able to locate a MAC address on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is very easy because it can be done by doing some steps as you are able to see below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to access Settings.
- Then, you need to tap on General.
- In this step, you have to choose About.
- Here, you have to scroll down to the Wifi address. The characters next to ‘Wifi Address’
is your MAC address.
You may not be able to see the full line of the MAC address because of screen size or font size. If so, you are able to copy your MAC address on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you have to long press on the wifi address and then tap on Copy. After that, you are able to paste the devices MAC address into an app such as Messages, Notes or Email.
Well, a MAC address of iOS devices is always in the form of randomized hexadecimal format. Those characters are aimed to be unique for each and all devices. That’s why they are not easy to remember.
What Is a MAC Address?
What is a MAC address? MAC stands for Media Access Control and it is a unique number which is given to every single network connection in devices. It consists of 12 characters and it is assigned to networking devices like Ethernet and Wi-Fi. So, there are millions of them. If you use an iPhone, you will be able to check the MAC address listed as the Wireless Address as we explained in the steps to locate MAC address above.
The manufactures hardware adds the MAC address which has function to identify networking devices uniquely. Let’s say that you need to add a MAC filter to your router or block any device from accessing your network. If you want to do that, you have to locate a MAC address on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Since a MAC address is unique for each networking interface, so it is beneficial for you to block or allow network access to devices. Also,it is not recommended for you to share it with everyone. It is because there may be irresponsible people who can spoof the MAC address for something bad and they are able to abuse your iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch MAC address. So, make sure that you share your MAC address only to well-known network administrators. If you want to share your MAC address to others, you have to think twice.
According to Wikipedia, this use is usual in most IEEE 802 networking such as Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth. In the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) network model, MAC addresses are used in the medium access control protocol sublayer of the data link layer. MAC addresses are represented by six groups of two hexadecimal digits which are separated by hyphens, colons or without a separator.
How to Locate MAC Address of MacBook OS X 10.4 and Earlier
If you use Macbook OS X 10.4 and earlier and you want to locate the MAC address, you are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to Open System Preferences from the icon in the Dock or from the Apple menu.
- Next, you need to choose Network.
- In this step, you have to choose Airport from the Show drop down menu. You will be able to see that the MAC address is listed as AirPort ID.
How to Locate Macbook OS X 10.5 or 10.6 (Leopard or Snow Leopard)
If you want to locate the MAC address of your Macbook OS X 10.5 or 10.6, you are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open System Preferences from the icon in the Dock or from the Apple menu.
- After that, you have to choose Network.
- Here, the thing that you must do is to choose AirPort from the left pane and then you must click the Advanced button.
- You will see that the MAC address is listed as AirPort ID.
How to Locate MacBook OS X 10.7 (Lion or Mountain Lion)
If you are a Macbook OS X 10.7 user, here are the steps that you are able to follow to locate MAC address.
- The first thing that you have to do is to access System Preferences from the icon in the Dock or from the Apple menu.
- After that, you have to choose Network.
- Next thing that you have to do is to choose AirPort from the left pane and then you must click the Advanced button.
- Here, you will see that the MAC address is listed as Wifi Address.
How to Locate MAC Address on Apple TV
You are able to find the MAC address on Apple TV by following the steps below.
- If the Software version is 1.0, you have to go to the Settings and then choose About.
- If the Software version is 2.0, you have to go to the Settings and then go to the General and after that, you have to choose About The Apple TV.
It is important for you to know that the MAC address or Network ID can also be found on the UPC label on the Apple TV box. This is the similar label which lists the serial number for your Apple TV.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…