Now, you may be trying to set up your Windows PC as a wireless hotspot and then you are seeing an error which says that the hosted network could not be started the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.
If you see this error, it means that your hosted network is not working because the adapter is not able to be switched on or will not stay enabled.
Why can it happen? Usually, the cause is a configuration error in the network adapter settings. So, how to fix it? You are able to see the steps to fix this error.
Some Methods For Fixing This Error
If you want to fix this error, you are able to follow the steps below.
- You have to right click the Windows Start button and then you have to choose Control Panel.
- Next, you have to navigate to Network and Internet and View network status and tasks.
- Now, you have to click on Change adapter settings.
- Then, you need to right click your wireless connection and then choose disable. After that, you have to repeat and enable.
- At last, you are able to retest.
It will reset the wireless network and forces Windows to be able to reload the configuration for it.
However, if you have tried the steps above but then you are still seeing the error, you are able to try the next method which will be explained below.
- The first thing that you have to do to apply this method is to right click on the Windows Start button and then you have to choose Device Manager.
- Next, you have to navigate to your Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter.
- After that, in case it is disabled, you have to enable it. If you have enabled it, you have to disable it and then re-enable it.
- Now, the step that you have to do is to right click the adapter and then you have to choose Properties, Power Management and you have to make sure that you give a check mark in the box beside “Allow the computer to turn off…”.
- In this step, you have to open a command prompt as an administrator.
- Next, you need to type ‘netsh wlan start hostednetwork’.
It is important for you to know that in case you have a hosted wireless network which is existing, now it should start working. However, what can we do if we do not have a hosted network? You are able to do these steps.
- First, you have to open a command prompt as an administrator if you closed it.
- After that, you have to type something. The thing that you have to type is ‘netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD’. In the NETWORKNAME, you have to add a name of your own choosing. It is also the same for password.
- Here, you have to type ‘netsh wlan start hostednetwork’.
Well, now your network will work as expected. However, if you are still seeing an error which says that the hosted network could not be started, there must be something more than configuration amiss. And it means that you have to rebuild IPv4 or troubleshoot the card of your wifi. Or, you may be able to visit some forums and ask others there about the issue that you are facing about this error. As you know that in forums there will be other people who will help you. If you are lucky, you may get help from an expert in the forum.
How to Make Your Windows 7 A Wifi Hotspot
As explained above that this error happens when you are trying to set up your Windows as a wireless hotspot. So, how to make our Windows a wifi hotspot? You are able to follow the steps below.
We specify that the steps below are for Windows 7. The things that you need for doing this are a laptop with built-in wifi capability, a hard-wired Ethernet connection and a mobile device with WiFi capability.
- Don’t miss: Chrome sxstrace.exe Tool Fix in Windows 10
And here are the steps for making your Windows 7 Laptop into a Wifi hotspot.
- The first thing that you have to do is to click the wired network connection icon in the System Tray. Then, you have to choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
- In the screen which opens, you have to click on Set Up A New Connection or Network under Change your Network Settings.
- Now, you have to choose the bottom option to be able to set up a wireless ad-hoc network.
- The wireless Ad Hoc network wizard will start and the thing that you have to do is to click on Next.
- On the next screen, you have to give your ad-hoc network a name, choose your security type and then do not forget to enter a security key. If you are in a public area, it is better for you to use WPA2 for the best security of your network.
- Usually, it will take just a few seconds and your ad-hoc network will be ready to use.
- Then, if you click the connection icon in the system tray, you will be able to see the network which you just made in the list waiting.
- In this step, you have to go to the Network and Sharing Center and there you have to choose Change Adapter Settings.
- After that, you must give a check mark in the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection and then do not forget to click on OK.
- Now, there will be the shared wifi connection from your laptop on your mobile device. The thing that you have to do here is just to connect to it and then you will have internet access on the device.
That’s the steps that you are able to follow to be able to create a wifi hotspot in your Windows 7. If you want to set a wifi hotspot on the other versions of your PC such as Windows 10 and others, you are able to read other sources.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…