If you want to create a wifi hotspot using command prompt, you have to start it by running the cmd as an administrator on your Windows 7 or later OS computer.
Do you know how to do that? If you want to do that, you are able to click on the Start button and then type cmd. If then you see the cmd app, you have to right click on it and choose run as administrator.
Then, choose Yes on the pop up window to be able to open the command prompt. After that, you are able to follow the steps below which will guide you on creating a wifi hotspot using command prompt.
Steps to Create Wifi Hotspot Using Command Prompt
If you have opened your terminal as an administrator, you have to follow the steps below.
- You have to type “NETSH WLAN show drivers” into the terminal and then hit Enter. This command will help you confirm that your PC can make a hotspot with a command prompt. There will be a Yes beside Hosted Network Supported. If you see that, it means that your PC supports the Hosted Network feature. But if not, it means that your PC cannot make a wireless hotspot through command prompt.
- Now, you have to type “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=password” in the terminal and then you have to hit the Enter. Now, you have to replace the “NETWORKNAME” and “PASSWORD” text with what you want your hotspot name and password to be.
- Here, the thing that you have to do is to type “NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork” and then hit Enter. It will help to turn on your wifi hotspot. Then, there will be a message saying ‘The hosted network started”.
- In this step, you have to type ‘Exit’ to exit the command prompt and your hotspot will be active. After that, you will have to share its availability to connect to it.
How to Make A Wifi Hotspot Created Be Available by Devices
If you want to make the Wifi hotspot which is created be available or seen by devices near it on your network, you are able to follow the steps below.
- First, you have to share the availability of a hotspot. How to do that? You have to click on the Start button and then you have to search for the control panel by typing ‘control panel’ in the search tool.
- Here, you have to click on the Network and Internet when the control panel opens.
- In this step, you have to click on the Network & Sharing Center. Where can we find this option? You will be able to find it near the top of the control panel page.
- Now, the thing that you have to do is to click on the Change Adapter settings. It can be found in the upper left side of the window.
- After that, under the Change Adapter Settings, you have to right click on the network that you are now connected to and then access Properties.
- Here, you have to click on the Sharing tab which is located at the top of the window.
- Next, you have to check the ‘Allow other network users to connect through…’ box. You are able to find it at the top of the window.
- The next step is that you have to choose the dropdown box below the Home Networking Connection and then you have to click your hotspot’s name. It will be like Local Area Connection*20. Here, you have to choose OK from the bottom bar.
- If you have clicked on OK, your Wifi hotspot will be at this point and it will be able to be accessed by any nearby devices.
What Is a Wifi Hotspot?
Today, it is not impossible that people do not know what wifi hotspot is because now the internet is everywhere. However, it is still important to be explained here to make everyone clear about it. Well, quoted from Century Link site, Wifi hotspot is defined as an internet access point which permits you to be able to connect to a Wifi network by using your computer, smartphone or another device while you are away from your home or office network.
There are a lot of cities, businesses, and also other organizations which have started offering WiFi hotspots for public use. Usually, hotspot will be able to help people to get faster internet connection than which is offered in the cellular networks.
How to Find Wifi Hotspot
If you want to find a wifi hotspot, the easiest way is that you have to open up your computer or tablet and then you are able to check your available network list. Usually, you will be able to find public wifi in a lot of public areas. Besides, you are able to look for wifi hotspots which are provided by your own ISP.
The Work of A Wifi Hotspot
A hotspot wifi which is public works from the user’s end like a Wifi network that you will be able to find in your home or office. These hotspots will transmit an internet connection by using special wireless equipment to make a wifi network to which you are able to connect a smartphone, tablet, computer or other device. You are able to connect and use a wifi hotspot like you would use a home wifi network.
Is It Safe To Use Wifi Hotspots?
- Don’t miss: How to Limit WiFi Coverage Access Easily
If you are worried whether the wifi hotspot is safe or not, you need to know that a private wifi hotspot is safe. Those are like mobile and prepaid versions.
However, if you try to connect to a public wifi hotspot, you may need to be careful. It is because the security methods which are used to protect your data can vary. So, it is better for you to not do anything towards a public wifi hotspot that could compromise secure personal data such as checking out on shopping sites which provides payment information, using banking apps or accessing medical records.
However, it is important to know that public hotspots usually tend to be safe for other activities like web browsing, using social media and checking email.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…