You will not like your NPC’S to be unhappy, so you were wondering in what biomes you should place them and who you should place them with. Now, you do not worry about that, here we are going to share information related to best NPC pairings/locations.
Terraria NPC Pairings
On first place is Goblin Tinkerer.
- It is all due to a reforging mechanic.
On second place is Demolotionist.
- Grenades are the best weapon to use for the entire pre-harmode. Bombs are useful on Hardmode to mine stuff (especially since they added some new scarab bombs)
On third place is Merchant, Nurse and Arms Dealer.
- We know that several of you are going to play warrior/ mage/ summoner, that is why you will not need to have a happy arms dealer. However, for ranged gameplay you need to purchase musket bullets literally for any ammo craft type no matter on what stage of the game.
- Nurse is useful in the main base for fast mirrors and healing. Pylons do not work while the boss is alive.
- Merchant is only useful early for mining helm or only for torches or glow sticks or potions. Honestly, we never use merchants frequently.
On fourth place is Mechanic, Witch Doctor, Pirate, Truffle, Wizard and Steampunker.
- Mechanic is very useful for building an arena, the traps or advanced hoik elevators. Wires are costly if you try to connect one teleport to other
- Witch Doctor is very useful for summoner class. Ensure to place her in the jungle. Do not forget to think about neighbours (or you will not be able to purchase Pygmy Necklace)
- Pirate is just there because cannons are still being broken at the start of hardmode. Please go one way, hide behind cannon and then spam fire. Per hit you are going to get 350+ dmg AoE every second. It is really useful at Solar Eclipse if pulled out properly.
- Truffle is a hard call. You may use him only because of autohammer while playing ranged character. On the other hand, autohammer cost 1 platinum gold. If he and his neighbor are happy, you are going to get mushroom biome pylon. We highly recommend making mushroom biomes right after dungeon for fast dungeon or truffle teleport.
- Wizard clearly for potions, however it is very rare to use potions for dmg reduction. Try to build an efficient arena for stars, at least you are going to deal more damage.
- Steampunker for some reasons. The wings are good at that stage of the game.
Hints and math
- If you want to make bases, please try to get them as far as possible from your main base. Generally, a good forest biome is in the middle of the map. Based on the size of the world, two oases on two sides of the map. You are able to try to not use all pylons on one side of the map for better efficiency.
- For getting teleport to mushroom biomes, Truffle must sell pylons. There needs to be two NPC’s. Please send a guide there, he will not be needed in that late of the game.
- If you cannot do something in pre-hardmode, there is no point (except for Goblin tinkerer, Demolotionist, and Arms dealer) in attempting to predict where hollow can spawn or wandering around the jungle to make home for dryad. The best choice is to make some houses at the surface for merchant and arms dealer to move in. One building in underground for Demolotionist. Then, progress to hell level, get an eye of skeletron, cthulhu, and WoF. Next, build all houses by using good materials and decorations.
Now, we are going to share a variable (efficiency point) to present you the math behind all of that.
- Terraria NPC that located in liked biome: +1 EP
- Terraria NPC that located in loved biome: +2 EP
- Terraria NPC that located in disliked biome: -1EP
- Terraria NPC that located in hated biome: -2EP
- Terraria NPC that located near liked neighbor: +1 EP
- Terraria NPC that located near loved neighbor: +2 EP
- Terraria NPC that located near disliked neighbor: -1 EP
- Terraria NPC that located near hated neighbor: -2 EP
For note: If there are 3 NPCs, adding another NPC to an area of 25 tiles can grant us -1 EP.
- One room: Nurse and Arms Dealer
- Second room: Zoologist and Golfer
- Third room: Merchant and Clothier
- Nurse loves Arms Dealer and also likes Hallow.
- Arms Dealer loves Nurse and also likes Desert.
- Zoologist likes Golfer and also likes Forest.
- Golfer likes Zoologist and also likes Forest.
- Merchant only likes Forest.
- Clothier is there only for placing pylon at the bottom of the base. You are able to place him somewhere underground alone if you want.
- One room: Demolotionist and Tavernkeep
- Demolotionist loves Tavernkeep and also likes Underground.
- Tavernkeep loves Demolotionist and also likes Hallow.
Surface, near dungeon:
- One room: Truffle and Guide
- Truffle loves Guide.
- Guide does not give a damn about walking shroom.
- One room: Witch Doctor and Dryad
- Second room: Painter
- Witch Doctor likes Dryad and also likes Jungle.
- Dryad likes Witch Doctor and Jungle.
- Painter likes Jungle.
- One room: Wizard and Party Girl
- Party Girl loves Wizard and also likes Hallow.
- Wizard is more into the church. But, Wizard still likes Hallow.
- One room: Pirate and Angler
- Second room: Stylist
- Pirate loves Angler and also likes Ocean.
- Angler loves fishes and also likes Ocean.
- Stylist likes Ocean.
- First room: Steampunker and Cyborg
- Second room: Dye Trader
- Steampunker loves Cyborg and also likes Desert.
- Cyborg likes Steampunker.
- Dye Trader likes Desert.
- One room: Mechanic and Goblin Tinkerer
- Second room: Tax Collector
- Mechanic loves Goblin Tinkerer and also likes Snow.
- Goblin Tinkerer loves Mechanic.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…