Just like on most social media, your Snapchat username is also one of the most important things, allowing people to recognize you, relate to your brand and also connect with you. When creating a new Snapchat account, you will give your personal details such as username, password and others.
For some reasons, you may want to change your Snapchat username, but you do not find the option to change your username on Snapchat. Then, you may wonder whether you can change your username on Snapchat or not. If you find it hard to change your Snapchat username, let’s see our post below!
Can You Change Your Snapchat Username?
Whatever and however the effort you do, you absolutely cannot change your Snapchat username without deleting your account. Instead, you can change your username if you create a new Snapchat account, meaning you have to start your Snapchat account from scratch. However, this is for security reasons.
On your new Snapchat account, there’s none of your friends, snapstreaks or also memories that will transfer over to a new account. Certainly, you will lose everything that you have saved in your Snapchat if you decide to do this.
However, if you really want to remove your immature username, deleting your Snapchat account is such a great way to do so. Before you delete your Snapchat account, you can also notify all of your friends who you intend to re-add. When you’re doing so, you can save your happy memories to your camera roll.
In other words, you have to stick on to the current username, as long as you want to use the same account. Instead, you can still change your display name as often as you want. Well, This way gives you the freedom to let other users know that it is you.
How to Change Your Display Name on Snapchat?
Unlike Snapchat username, you’re allowed to change your display name on Snapchat whenever you want. Your display name is a name that appears on Snapchat, while username is such a credential used to log into Snapchat. So, the display name is different from your username.
If changing your Snapchat username aims to let people recognize you, changing your Display Name is an alternative. When you change your display name, it will make it easier for people to know that it’s you. If you want to change your display name, you can do the following steps:
- First, open the Snapchat and choose your profile that is also represented by the Bitmoji icon located in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Choose the gear icon located in the upper-right corner to reveal your Snapchat Settings.
- Then, choose the ‘Name’ option.
- In the Name box, you need to enter a new Display Name.
- Last, you can tap the ‘Save’ button.
Okay, that’s how to change your Display Name on Snapchat. The name that you save in the ‘Name’ box will appear in your friends’ chats and stories, instead of your username. However, if they have your contact saved under your old name, they may need to edit your contact and save it under the new one.
How to Create a New Snapchat Account?
If you really want to change your Snapchat username, not display name, you definitely should deactivate your account and create a new Snapchat account. If you select this option, you will add your friends to your new account manually.
Before you delete your Snapchat account, you may want to save your friend’s name first. After saving your friend’s name, you can then delete your Snapchat account and create a new one. Let’s follow the guide of creating a new Snapchat account!
Step 1: Save your friend’s Snapchat names
- To save your friend’s name, you need to choose the ‘Chat’ option and click on the ‘New Chat’ icon located in the upper-right corner.
- You may need to scroll to All to see your friends in alphabetical order. You can write down each name or take a screenshot of the list.
- Then, choose the ‘X’ option in the upper-right corner to cancel the New Chat.
- Here, you need to look for the first friend in your list by typing their name in the search field at the top of the screen.
- In this step, you have to write down the username which appears under their Display Name.
- You can then choose the ‘X’ option in the search bar to exit search.
- To access Settings, you can go to your profile and select the gear icon located in the upper-right corner.
- On the Settings, you need to choose the ‘Log Out’ button at the bottom of the Settings list.
- Sure, you need to confirm that you want to log out of your account.
- Delete your Snapchat account
- To change your Snapchat username, you may need to delete your Snapchat account, though this is not necessary if you want to have two accounts with the previous one.
- To delete your Snapchat account, you can go to the Snapchat Account portal here.
- Once you access the Snapchat’s Account Portal, you need to scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the ‘Support’ option.
- After that, you can go to the ‘My Account & Security’ section.
- Then, click the ‘Account Information’ section and choose ‘Delete An Account’ option.
- Here, you need to enter your username and password.
- You may also need to enter the security code that is sent to your phone number listed to the account.and then click the ‘Submit’.
- Once again, you need to enter your username and password again.
- After that, you can click the ‘Continue’ button and your Snapchat account will be deactivated.
If you change your mind and want to reactivate your account, you just simply log into Snapchat within 30 days and your content will be restored.
Step 3: Create a New Snapchat Account
- To create a new Snapchat account, you just open Snapchat on your smartphone.
- Then, click on the ‘Sign Up’ button and create a new account with your new username.
- Once you complete the account setup process for your new account, you may need to choose the ‘Magnifying Glass’ icon to look for your friend’s usernames.
- You can then choose the ‘Add’ button to add them to your new account.
In the case of creating a new Snapchat username, make sure to create a new one as you desire until you do not want to change your Snapchat username anymore.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…