According to Microsoft site, driver updates for Windows 10, together with a lot of devices such as monitors, network adapters and video cards are downloaded and installed automatically and it is done through Windows Update. You may have had the most recent drivers, but if you want to update and reinstall a driver manually, you are able to follow the steps below.
Updating The Device Driver
- If you want to update the device driver, the first thing that you have to do is to enter device manager in the search box on the taskbar and then you have to choose Device Manager.
- After that, you have to choose a category to see names of devices and then right click or you can press and hold the one that you want to update.
- In this step, you have to choose Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software.
- And here, you need to choose Update Driver.
- If you find that Windows cannot find a new driver, then the thing that you are able to do is to try looking for one on the device manufacturer’ site and then follow the instructions.
Reinstall The Device Driver
- To be able to reinstall the device driver, the first step that you have to take is to enter device manager in the search box on the taskbar. And then, you need to choose a Device Manager.
- In this step, you have to right click or you are able to press and hold the name of the device and then choose Uninstall.
- Now, you have to restart your PC.
- After that, Windows will try to reinstall the driver.
Updating USB 3.0 Driver using Windows Update
If your PC has USB 3.0 ports and you find some issues with your audio interface, it means that you have to update your USB 3.0 drivers. There are a lot of manufacturers including Microsoft which release USB 3 driver updates and often it includes bug fixes so that it can fix the issues that you find in your PC. However, before you do the USB update, it is better for you to compare the current version which is installed to the latest version on the site of the manufacturer.
If you want to know what manufacturer your PC’s USB ports are, you are able to use a system information tool to be able to check it. One of the software that you can use is Belarc Advisor. It provides you with all information which is related to your PC. You are able to utilize your internet browser and search for that motherboard’s USB 3.0 driver download.
- First, you have to right click the Windows icon that you can find on the toolbar and then choose Device Manager.
- After that, in the Device Manager window, you have to choose Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Now, find anything listed with 3.0 or 3.1.
- And then, you need to right click on it and then select Properties.
- Here, you have to click on the Driver tab and take note of the Driver Provider and the Driver Version.
If Microsoft is the USB driver provider, you are able to copy and paste the Driver version into an internet browser and then you have to choose the first article from the site of Microsoft. Then, you have to compare your version to the Windows update which is listed on the page. However, if you see that a manufacturer other than MIcrosoft is the USB driver provider, the thing that you have to do is to access the download page of the manufacturer and then you have to compare the version which is installed on your PC to the latest one which is listed on the webpage.
It depends on the currently installed driver that you are able to do USB updates by using the Windows Update. If you see that there is a USB 3.0 driver update available, it means that it will download and install the USB 3.0 drivers automatically if they are digitally signed. So, some are digitally signed, but some others do not. If the USB driver update is done, you are able to consider checking Device Manager to know whether the driver version is correct.
- You are able to check the Windows icon on the toolbar and type Update. After that, the thing that you have to do is to click on Check for Updates.
- When you see that the window comes up, then you have to click on the Check For Updates button. If it says that you are up to date, it means that you do not need to go further.
- However, if it finds an update, Windows will automatically download and install it. If the process of installation is done, you will be required to restart your PC.
Updating Everything Else
According to PC Gamer, it is important for you to know that the built-in Windows service on your computer usually keeps most of your drivers up to date in the background. So, you do not need to be worried about keeping drivers up to date unless you use a niche device that does not offer updates via Windows update.
If you want to check for any updates for your computer which include driver updates, you are able to do that by following the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to click on the Start button that you can find on the Windows taskbar.
- After that, you need to click on the Settings icon which is a small gear.
- In this step, the thing that you have to do is to choose Update & Security and then you have to click on the Check For Updates.
Well, that’s the information that we are able to give to you about Update USB drivers Windows 10. Hopefully, the explanation above can help you. If you need more information about it, you are able to read the other sources and alternatively you are able to access some forums. If you need other information related to IT and Windows, you are able to read the other articles on this site.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…