It’s so upsetting when you accidentally delete your WhatsApp chats; these are very important messages for you. If this occurs, you should look for ways to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats in any case. However, you do not have to feel miserable since there are some ways to restore your deleted WhatsApp chat.
WhatsApp actually has a backup data feature that can help you get out of such the worst condition. If backing up your data is not successful, there are some other alternatives you can take to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats. To find these guides, let’s dive into our post below!
Method 1: Using the WhatsApp Backup Data Feature
The easiest and fastest way to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats is to use a backup file. It is known that WhatsApp provides a backup feature that usually starts every day, week, or month—or not at all. You will be free to make choices for data backup.
Depending on the choice of the WhatsApp user himself, the storage location that WhatsApp uses also varies. Generally, Android users will select Google Drive cloud storage to back up their data.
To back up your WhatsApp chats, you can take the following steps:
- First, open WhatsApp on your Android.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the right corner.
- Make sure to follow the path: Settings → Chats → Chat backup → Last backup.
- If you’ve chosen a chat backup, storage settings such as Google Drive will be listed.
- Then, you can easily restore deleted WhatsApp chats from backup data.
That’s how to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats using the WhatsApp backup data feature. It’s pretty straightforward, isn’t it?
Method 2: Using Android Local Backup History
How can you if you haven’t saved your WhatsApp chats? No worries! You can really restore your deleted WhatsApp chats via the local backup history stored on your Android phone. This method only requires the user to transfer all the mobile data to the PC.
Of course, you will need a compatible SD card. If the chat data you’re looking for is not stored in the SD card WhatsApp folder, it is most likely stored in the internal storage folder or main storage.
Android usually does automatic storage for about 7 days before it is backed up to Google Drive. Of course, all WhatsApp user activity data is usually stored there. Make use of a file manager to optimize your old data backup efforts.
Here’s how to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats via Android’s local backup history!
- On your Android phone’s file manager, you need to go to the WhatsApp folder.
- Then, click on the Database option, as that is where all the locally made backups are stored.
- You need to pick up a WhatsApp backup file that you want to restore and make sure to rename it for accessibility. For example, you can change msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- To rename it, you can choose a file you want and select Rename.
- Here, you can uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
- Make sure to input the phone number and other contact details.
- Then, WhatsApp will check the availability of any existing backup, which may take a few moments.
- You can then click the “Restore” option to recover the deleted WhatsApp chats.
That’s how to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats via Android’s local backup history.
Method 3: Using Google Drive Backup
The final option for restoring deleted WhatsApp chats is to use a Google Drive backup. It is known that Google Drive offers one of the more believable cloud storage locations with excellent usage facilities.
To use this method, make sure you have to use the same Google account and phone number that created the target backup. Here’s how to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats on Android via Google Drive backup!
- First, you need to uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall it.
- Then, make sure to follow the on-screen instructions for WhatsApp installation and verify your phone number.
- After that, the program will require you to restore WhatsApp media files and chats from the Google Drive backup.
- You need to choose the Restore button and trigger your WhatsApp restoration procedure on your Android device.
- Once you’re finished with the Google Drive backup restore process, you need to click the Next button and make sure to wait for the display of WhatsApp backed-up media, including chats and others.
- Last, WhatsApp will automatically restore all the media from local backup storage if you have not created any Google Drive backups before.
That’s how to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats using a Google Drive backup.
Why Can’t You Recover Deleted WhatsApp Chats?
It’s important to note that if you fail to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats on Android using Google Drive backup, it can be caused by some reasons, including:
- Incorrectly entering the same email account that you’ve used while creating a Google Drive backup.
- A corrupted SD Card or malware-attacked WhatsApp chat history can be the reason why you fail to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats.
- Your Google Drive account does not also contain any backup files.
- Your phone number has been changed.
- Add a new WhatsApp account to your Android phone.
If you fail to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats due to these reasons, you may need to:
- Examine the Google Play Services installation on your Android device.
- Check your internet network.
- Change the network connection to Wi-Fi.
- Check the SD card capacity since less storage space can make the recovery process fail.
- Get used to the resources on the device having enough power during the restore process.
5 Recommended Apps to Restore Your Deleted WhatsApp Chats
If you’ve tried all of the methods listed above and still can’t recover your deleted WhatsApp chats, you may need to use third-party apps. In fact, there are some mobile apps you can use to recover your deleted chats on Android.
Here they are:
1. WAMR: Recover Deleted Messages and Status Download
Produced by Studio Drillens Apps, WAMR is the first choice for those of you who want to recover deleted WhatsApp chats. With more than 200,000 users, this app really works to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats.
WAMR can allow you to restore chat history you have accidentally deleted. In addition, this app can also restore any media, such as photos, videos, audio, documents, and GIFs. You can download WAMR from the Google Play Store.
The next option is the Restore app, which also allows you to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats. Just like WAMR, Restore can also restore any media. Since the developer of Restore really understands that WhatsApp chats are private, app access does not change directly. This app instead reads commands from the user, based on the user’s WhatsApp notification.
Another app to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats that you can download from the Google Play Store is WhatsRemoved+. The main function of this app is to restore deleted WhatsApp chats. This app is capable of restoring old WhatsApp chats that have never been recovered.
4. Data recovery for WhatsApp
The WhatsApp Data Recovery app can really recover WhatsApp chats and media, including video, photos, GIFs, and stickers. This app can really help you to backup deleted chats, including the chat rooms that are not visible and have already been deleted by someone.
It is known that data backup for WhatsApp has the main function of looking back at deleted chats. In addition, this app can also help you undo deleted WhatsApp chats before they are read. You will get a notification when someone deletes a message for you.
5. WhatsDelete: View Deleted Messages & Status Saver
The last app option you can use to recover your deleted WhatsApp chat is WhatsDelete, which you can download from the Google Play Store. To use more excellent features, you may have to upgrade the service to premium.
Well, these are the five third-party apps you can use to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats and media on Android.
Basically, data backup using Google Drive is the most recommended way to restore your deleted WhatsApp chats. However, Drive cannot recover WhatsApp chats that your friends or colleagues send to you. But you shouldn’t worry since you can still take advantage of the services of additional apps. We hope the ways to recover your deleted WhatsApp chats we’ve explained above can really help you restore the chats you’ve accidentally deleted. Good Luck!!!
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…