If you install any third-party launcher on your Android device, your device may sometimes collapse since the app interferes with your device UI. As a result, you cannot access anything on your device. Of course, if the Google Play Services has collapsed, you cannot install the app from Play Store at all.
The good news! ADB that stands for Android Device Bridge comes to your rescue playing a role as a bridge between your PC and Android Device. ADB works to control your device using a computer. If you want to use ADB but you do not know yet how to use it, you can dive into our post to find the information. Here you go!
Installing APK Using ADB Commands on Android, Here’s How!
Before installing APK using ADB Commands, there are some requirements you need to meet. Here are they:
1) Make sure that your device’s driver is installed on your PC. When you connect your phone to your PC, every Android smartphone comes with its own device driver which automatically gets installed.
You may have to download the driver separately if your device does not have one. For Google Devices like Nexus, you will be able to find just install Google USB Driver that is a part of SDK.
2) You may need to allow USB debugging on your Android Smartphone. You can find the option under Developer options. Firstly, you need to allow the Developer Options from the Settings menu.
You should allow USB debugging from the Developer options.
a. First, you need to open ‘Settings’ and then click on the ‘System’ option.
b. You can now tap on Developer options.
c. Make sure to scroll down and under the Debugging section. You can then find the settings for USB debugging. You can just simply toggle on the switch and you’re good to go.
3) Last but not least, you will have to download and install ADB on your computer.
Here’s how to download and install ADB on Windows!
Since ADB is a part of the Android SDK, you may have to download the entire setup package for the tool kit. To download and install ADB on Windows 10, you can do the following steps:
- First, you can go to the ‘Android SDK platform tool’ page.
- Then, you need to click on the ‘Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows’ button. Here, you also need to choose the other options, depending upon the operating system you are using.
- In the following page, you need to tick the ‘Terms and Conditions’ and then click on the ‘Download’ button.
- After the zip file is downloaded, you can extract it at a location in which you want to save the tool kit files.
- After that, you can see the ‘ADB’ available in the folder along with other tools.
- Until now, the installation process is now complete.
Congratulations! You already download and install ADB on your device and you can now use it to install APK on your Android device.
Using ADB Commands to Install APK on Your Device, Here’s How?
Before installing APK using ADB Commands, you have to ensure that ADB is set up properly and the device connected is being detected appropriately. Here’s how to use ADB to install APK on your devices!
- First, you can connect your Android device to the computer and you can open the folder that contains the SDK platform tools.
- You can then hold down Swift and then right-click in this folder. From the menu, you can choose the ‘Open Command Window here’ option. You can then click on the ‘Open PowerShell Window here’ if the option to open the command window is not available.
- In the ‘Command Prompt Window/ PowerShell’ window, you can now type the following code: ‘.\adb devices’ and press ‘Enter’.
- In the command window, it will show the name of your device.
- If it does not, there is a problem with the device’s driver.
- There will be a simple solution to this problem. Here, you need to go to the search bar on your computer and then open ‘Device Manager’.
- Well, your Android device is listed there. You can then right-click on it and simply click on the ‘Update Driver Option’.
- You can then click on the option to search for Drivers online. Of course, they will automatically get downloaded and installed on your computer if there are any new drivers available.
- Now, you can go back to the ‘Command Prompt/ PowerShell’ window and then type the same command provided above and press Enter. Here, you can see the name of the device shown on the screen.
Well, it confirms that ADB has been set up and your device is connected appropriately. Now, you can perform any operations on your phone using the ADB Commands. Certainly, those commands have to be entered in the Command Prompt or PowerShell window. You may need to have the APK file stored on your computer in order to install an APK on your device via ADB.
What Is ADB and How Does It Work?
It is known that ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, which is a command-line tool. This is a part of the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows you to control your Android Smartphone using a PC provided that your device is connected to the computer through a USB cable.
You can definitely install or uninstall apps, get information about network or Wi-Fi connection, transfer files, check battery status, screen recording, take screenshots and so much more. ADB is known as a very powerful tool that is capable of doing advanced operations that require a good amount of practice and training to master.
To take control of your device, ADB uses USB debugging. ADB clients can detect the connected device when connected to a computer using a USB cable. This uses a command line or command prompt as the medium to relay the commands and information between the Android device and the computer. There will be special codes or commands that allow you to control the processes and operations on your Android Device.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…