PuTTY is an SSH and telnet client that was developed by Simon Tatham (a British programmer) for the Windows platform. It is open source software which is available with source code and is developed and supported by a group of volunteers. Well, let us talk more about PuTTY Telnet Client here.
WHAT IS PUTTY?
PuTTY is a free terminal emulator that supports various network protocols such as SSH, Telnet, SCP, rlogin, Serial, and raw socket connection. It is also able to connect to a serial port. Originally, it was available only for Windows. But now, it is also available on various platforms, with work-in-progress ports to Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X, and then unofficial ports have been contributed to platforms such as Symbian, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. You are able to use PuTTY At DreamHost to log into your web server through your SHELL username.
PuTTY is a very multipurpose tool for remote access to another computer. It is probably used more frequently by people who want secure remote shell access to a UNIX or Linux system than for any other purpose, even though it is only one of its many uses. PuTTY is more than only an SSH client. As we mentioned above, it supports various network protocols such as SSH, Telnet, SCP, rlogin, and raw socket connection. In the text below, we are going to explain some protocols supported by PuTTY.
This raw protocol is used for network debugging.
This is an unencrypted UNIX remote login protocol which uses port 513 by default.
This serial protocol is used to connect to a serial line. The most common aim for this is to build a serial connection between computers in lieu of an Ethernet or other network connection.
As we know that SSH is an encrypted secure remote login protocol which uses port 22 by default.
Like rlogin, Telnet or telecommunication network is an unencrypted remote login protocol. Usually, it uses port 23 and is available on lots of systems other than UNIX. Similar with rlogin, Telnet has subside in popularity due to privacy concerns.
In addition to the best protocols supported by PuTTY, it also supports features such as session logging, locale (language) settings, saved session configurations, and proxy sessions.
HOW TO RUN PUTTY FROM COMMAND LINE?
You have to start a PuTTY session to connect to the command-line interface (CLI). Say that you have configured and saved a PuTTY session by using the SSH (Secure Shell) password. If you need command line access without submitting a password, you are able to use the SSH key pair which you made for the CLI. Here are steps to start a PuTTY session to connect to the command-line interface:
- At the first step, you have to choose Start -> Programs -> PuTTY -> PuTTY. Then, the PuTTY Configuration window opens.
- After that, you need to choose the name of your saved PuTTY session and click Load.
- In this step, you are able to click Open. If this is the first time that the PuTTY application is being used since you generated and uploaded the SSH password or key pair, so a PuTTY Security Alert window is displayed. For this case, you are able to click Yes to accept the change and trust the new key.
- The last step, you only need to type the username in the login as a field and then press Enter.
HOW TO TELNET USING PUTTY?
You will be able to use Putty to connect to a telnet server or a SSH server. To use it, please follow the steps below:
- At the first step, you are able to download putty.
- In some cases, you do not need to install. You only need to double putty.exe click the screen can appear.
- Now, you have to choose protocol Enter ‘yourdomain.com’ in the field for ‘Host Name (or IP address)’ and then choose ‘SSH’ or ‘Telnet’ as Protocol and easily press the open button.
- Please accept the host key if this is the first time. Next, popup is going to appear. if you press ‘Yes’ PuTTY will be able to store the key and not ask you this question again.
- Lastly, you are able to submit your username and password. For note: Your password will not appear when entering keywords.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD PUTTY?
If you want to download and set up PuTTY onto your computer, easily you are able to follow these steps:
- On your Windows PC:
Please navigate to C:\.
In that directory, you have to make a folder named \bin.
This is the location into which you are going to download your PuTTY files. Adding this directory can make it easier to keep track of files.
- Now, you have to open the download page in your browser.
- Please download the files below from that site into your C:\bin folder:
- For easy access, you are able to make a shortcut on your Desktop:
- Firstly, you have to right click on your Desktop and select ‘New -> Shortcut.’
- Then, browse to the location of your putty.exe file. For note: it should be C:\Users\bin\putty.exe.
- Lastly, you only need to save the shortcut
- In this step, you have to enter your DreamHost credentials in the PuTTY Configuration box.
- The next step that you have to do is to click the Save button to save this session. When you open a session in PuTTY, you are asked for your SHELL username and password.
Description of the fields in PuTTY configuration box:
- Host Name (or IP address): In this field submit your DreamHost servername. For instance, if your server is named purple, this hostname is purple.dreamhost.com
- Port: 22
- Connection Type: SSH
- Saved Sessions: Submit a name for this connection. For instance “DreamHost Server.”
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…