PuTTY is free SSH and Telnet client that was developed for the Windows platform by Simon Tatham who is a British programmer. It is open source software which is available with source code and is supported by a group of volunteers. Now, let us discuss it here.
WHAT IS PUTTY?
PuTTY is a free terminal emulator which supports SSH and Telnet Client. Also, it supports other network protocols such as SCP, Serial, rlogin, and raw socket connection. Originally, it was available only for Windows. If you are at DreamHost, you will be able to use PuTTY to login to your web server through your SHELL username. We are able to say that PuTTY is a very multipurpose tool for remote access to another PC/computer. Remember that the PuTTY not only supports SSH and Telnet, but also supports other network protocols such as SCP, Serial, rlogin, and raw socket connection.
WHAT IS SSH (PUTTY) COMMANDS?
SSH (Secure Shell) protocol allows you connect to a remotely located computer from one computer. This communication brings place through a secured encryption process. This kind of connection is able to be used for file transfer and releasing other remote commands. The SSH (Secure Shell) protocol follows a client-server model in which connection is built by SSH Client to the SSH server. For your information, the SSH client utilizes public key cryptography to make sure a safe connection to the SSH server. After setting up the connection, the SSH client also makes sure that the privacy and integrity of data are maintained throughout the network by uutilizing asymmetric encryption, symmetric encryption, and hashing algorithms.
The SSH commands offer the authentication of two remotely located systems while encrypting the data which passes through them. By default, SSH (Secure Shell) operates on TCP port 22, but it is able to be changed if needed. The client connects with the server by doing a TCP handshake with the server, that is for verifying whether the information given by the user matches with the previous record of information which is stored in an RSA key store file. Before building a connection, both the client and the server must agree upon the encryption standards to make sure safe and secured communication and then the user needs to do the authentication check.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD PUTTY SSH
PuTTY SSH is most commonly used on Windows, but it is also available on Mac and Linux. Here is how you are able to get the PuTTy SSH on different operating systems.
You are able to download the latest version of PuTTY SSH from the official site. After that, you are able to install it on your computer.
Most people utilize the preinstalled OpenSSH on Linux, but PuTTY on Linux is used more for debugging, connecting to serial ports, and to raw sockets.
The MacOS comes with a command-line SSH client installed. However, to download PuTTY SSH, you need to open the terminal window and use the commands.
HOW TO USE PUTTY (SSH TERMINAL)?
SSH (Secure Shell) is a secure protocol for connecting to a remote server. To build an SSH connection, you are going to need an SSH client app like PuTTY. In this guide, you are going to learn how to use PuTTY SSH terminal to connect to your hosting account or to a VPS server. Doing so, you are able to access and manage your remote machine by executing various commands. Remember that PuTTY is one emulator which is open-source and free to download. Also, Windows does not have a pre-installed SSH server or client. So, the requirements for being able to use SSH commands are as below:
- A Linux based server that you will be connecting to.
- PuTTy to facilitate the connection process.
- The server’s IP address which acts as the location of the server to which you are trying to connect.
- A username and password to ensure that you are authorized to connect to the server.
HOW TO CONNECT PUTTY (SSH TERMINAL)?
Apparently, there are some steps that you have to do to connect through PuTTY. Here are steps:
- At the first step, you are able to launch the PuTTY SSH client.
- Then, you have to enter your server’s SSH IP and SSH Port. Please click the Open button to proceed.
- The message will pop-up and prompts you to submit your SSH username. For VPS users, this is normally root. However, for shared hosting users, you are going to need to submit a predefined username. After submitting your username, simply press Enter.
- The next step that you have to do is to type your SSH password and then press Enter again. For security reasons, the screen will not show the password but will register what you type. So, you do not worry about that.
- Finally, you have connected to your account successfully by using the PuTTY SSH client. You are able to list all available SSH commands by executing help via the terminal.
HOW TO CONNECT PUTTY (TELNET CLIENT)
You will be able to use Putty to connect to a telnet server or a SSH server. To use it, please follow the steps below:
- The first thing that you have to do is to download PuTTy.
- In some cases, you do not need to install it. You only need to double click putty.exe and then the screen can appear.
- After that, you are able to select the protocol Enter ‘yourdomain.com’ in the field for Host Name or IP address. Next, you have to select Telnet as Protocol. Do not forget to press the open button.
- The next step that you have to do is to accept the host key if this is the first time. Automatically, popup is going to appear. if you press at Yes, so the PuTTY are able to store the key and not ask you this question again.
- The last step that you have to do is to enter your username and password. For note: Your password will not appear when you are entering your password.
- Finally, you have connected to your account successfully by using the PuTTY Talent client.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…