There are lots of users who said that they often see that ReCaptcha is not working on their own web browser and showing an error for site owner: Invalid Key Type. If you are one of them and getting the same trouble then this page is suitable for you.
Invalid reCaptcha Secret Key Error
Lots of users mentioned that this verification system does not work for someone with disabilities. Whereas for several users it takes a lot of time if they have a lot of work every day. Thus, their works get slowed down by distorted images which are difficult to read. Luckily, lots of users have managed to solve Google ReCaptcha Error for Site owner: Invalid Key Type by having control on their website’s cPanel and File Manager. If it does not work for you, then you are able to follow the other possible solutions which worked for some other users to fix the error. However, before directly moving to the solutions, it is really crucial to know what is causing the error.
What Reasons that Causes the Error?
Actually, there is no exact reason that causes the error. However, after investigating we discovered some of the very common culprits which trigger the error.
- When your ReCaptcha Site Key and the ReCaptcha Secret Key does not match.
- Also, it is possible if you have not verified your domain name exactly according to the one that you used while registering for Google Recaptcha.
- This mostly occurs when WHMCS is migrated to a different domain name or subdomain.
- When you do not enter the email associated with the site to set up the ReCaptcha.
Now that you are familiar with the reasons for the error, below find out the solutions that worked for many users to fix the error.
How to Fix “Error for Site Owner: Invalid Key Type”?
Here are some great solutions to fix the error:
Solution 1: Preliminary Fixes
Before starting with the below tricky solutions, here it is suggested to follow the quick ways as this may work for you to fix the internal glitches which cause the error.
1: Update your Google Chrome
- Please click on the three-dot menu and launch Google Chrome.
- Now, you are able to click on the Help and then on the About Chrome option.
- Afterwards, it will search for updates automatically and install it.
2: Disable Proxy and VPN service
Usually, the error occurs to the users who are connected via a Proxy or VPN. Therefore, in this case, you have to try disabling the proxy and VPN connection.
3: Scan your Malware and Virus Infection
If your system is infected with a virus or malware, then this might be the reason for showing the Google ReCaptcha error. In this case, you have to scan your system with a good antivirus program to scan and remove the virus infection. Please try using the SpyHunter tool. This will perform a deep scan of your system and remove the notorious virus as well as malware.
4: Reset your Browser
There is a possibility that several of your browser settings are causing the issue, so ensure to reset your current browser to its default settings.
Solution 2: Downgrade to V2 Key Recaptcha
There is a possibility that the web framework will not support the V3 keys. Therefore, downgrading to the V2 keys, after that remove the V3 keys then build the latest V2 keys.
Here are steps to do so:
- At the first step, launch WordPress on your PC and move to the admin area.
- After that, choose Contact Form 7 and Integrations. Then, remove the API keys which you have configured previously.
- Now, find plugins and choose the add plugins option.
- Please find invisible Recaptcha for word press, then install as well as activate it
- In this step, you have to go to the ReCaptcha Admin account, then choose the option “ReCaptcha v2 (Invisible)” and make new keys.
- Please fill the form and you are going to see both the keys; Site Key and Secret Key.
- Just copy the site key to the clipboard, open WordPress and press Admin->Settings->Invisible Recaptcha.
- Next, go back and copy the Secret key, then paste the Secret Key in the secret key field.
- Select the save option then go to the Contact Forums and enable the protection for Contact Form 7, then tap on “Save Changes.”
Solution 3: Generate New Registration Key (WordPress)
- Please register a new Recaptcha key, for making a new keypress on the Plus icon.
- Now you are able to fill in the blank spaces including Label, Recaptcha Type, Domain and Owner
- Make sure you accept the terms and conditions and click on Submit
- A new website and the secret key will be visible to you. Just place them accordingly in the Plugin Settings.
- Lastly, you are able to go back to the previously login page and check if the error is fixed successfully.
Solution 4: Make sure that your Site is Added to the Domain Section of the Google Recaptcha page
- Ensure that you have put the correct domain on the ReCaptcha page.
- The domain must be without HTTP:// or https://. For example, Google.com
- Regenerate the API keys and then update them in integration
- Please double-check if you are using ‘Site Key’ and ‘Secret Key’ below the Google recaptcha settings.
- Also, you have to keep in mind that both the Site Key and the Secret Key look very similar, thus there are many chances for you to make the mistake.
Solution 5: Go to the cPanel of your own website
- Firstly, open the file manager of your website, once you are on the cPanel of your website.
- After that, choose the public_html.
- Click on wp_content.
- Then, choose Plugins
- Now, you have to check all the files present in the folder.
- Afterwards, choose login
- Please go back to the WordPress login page and check if the error is being fixed or not
- And you are able to log in to your website’s Dashboard right now.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…