How to Talk to Someone at the IRS on the Phone

Sometimes, you will need to talk to someone at the IRS about a tax issue. You may have a hard time getting an actual human being on the phone. Of course, it is frustrating. Here we want to help you avoid this annoyance and get your tax solutions quickly. This page helps you talk to someone at the IRS on the phone.

What to Do Before You Talk to Someone at the IRS on the Phone?

Before you call, ensure you have all of the information you need. Usually, the agent will ask you for several key pieces of information to verify your identity and continue the phone call. Also, they may need some information on you to assist them find a solution. This information includes:

    • Social Security Numbers and birthdates
    • If you do not have a Social Security card, your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
    • Filing status (whether you are single, the head of household, married and filing jointly or married and filing separately)
    • Last year’s tax return to check your identity
    • A copy of the tax return in question
    • Any letters or notices you received from the IRS

Talking to Someone at the IRS on the Phone

Remember that this is just one solution out of many for speaking with someone at the IRS.

    • Please call the IRS telephone number at 1-800-829-1040 during their support hours. This line is open Monday to Friday from 7 AM to 7 PM local time.
    • The automated system will ask you to choose your preferred language. You are able to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
    • After you have to set your language, you are able to choose option 2 for your Personal Income Tax.
    • Please press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.
    • Please press 3 for other questions.
    • Please press 2 all other questions.
    • The system is going to ask you to submit your Social Security number. Ensure you do not submit any numbers at this time.
    • The system is going to ask you twice, so ensure not to answer. Another menu will prompt you.
    • You are able to press 2 within this menu for individual tax questions.
    • You are able to press 4 for all other questions: the system should eventually transfer you to an agent or representative.

Why You Need to Talk to Someone at the IRS on the Phone?

According to the IRS, the IRS site should be your first resource for help and information due to the sheer volume of calls. Need to know that the IRS will not address the following problems on the phone:

    • You have the questions about tax law
    • You have transcript requests
    • You need the forms of IRS
    • You want to check your refund status, but it has been less than 21 days since you filed
    • You have complaints regarding your taxes or tax-related issues

You may want to call the IRS and talk to someone if:

    • You accepted a notice from the IRS (Always call the number on the notice).
    • You are going to miss a deadline set by the IRS and need to request more time. For instance, extensions for paying off your tax balance, to send more information, or to respond to a notice from the IRS.
    • “Where’s My Refund?” says you need to speak directly to an IRS agent.
    • You need the amount you have to pay off for tax purposes.
    • You have questions regarding your IRS payment plan (installment agreement).
    • You want to find out the status of any IRS action (like a penalty abatement request).
    • You need to confirm that the IRS received your own payment.
    • You lost, never received, or accepted an incorrect Form W-2 and/or Form 1099-R.

Other Ways to Reach an IRS Agent

Here are other ways to reach someone at the IRS:

Visit Your Local IRS Office

As we know that the IRS runs local Taxpayer Assistance Center offices in every state. You cannot just come at a local IRS office any time, but you have to make an appointment ahead of time. The IRS number you can contact is 844-545-5640.

Contact Your Local Taxpayer Advocate Service Center

Need to know that the Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS which helps people with tax issues that they cannot solve by themselves. We get information that every state has at least one Taxpayer Advocate Service center. Those centers are independent of the local IRS office and report to the National Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Other IRS Phone Numbers

While you are always able to call the main IRS number, lesser-known IRS phone numbers could assist you get assistance faster.

Here is a list of other IRS phone numbers, categorized by your status or concern, to assist you reach the right agent who can help you with your specific situation.

Employment Status

    • Self-employed taxpayers: The number is 800-829-4933

Residency or Special Tax Status

    • Taxpayers who live overseas: The number is 267-941-1000
    • Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number application status: The number is 737-800-5511

Refunds, Payments, and Balances

    • Questions about balances: The number is 800-829-0922/800-829-7650/800-829-3903
    • Check status of a tax refund: The number is 800-829-1954
    • Check status of a tax refund on hold: The number is 866-897-3315
    • Make a payment using Electronic Federal Tax Payment System: The number is 800-555-4477 or 800-244-4829 (Spanish)
    • Verify, pay off, or resolve a tax lien: The number is 800-913-6050
    • Confirm which debts will offset your tax refund: The number is 800-304-3107

Types of Taxes

    • Estate and gift tax concerns: The number is 866-699-4083
    • Questions about excise tax: The number is 866-699-4096

Tax Return Issues

    • Check status of an amended tax return: The number is 866-464-2050
    • Report wrong income on a substitute return: The number is 866-681-4271
    • Check if bankruptcy affects your tax debt: The number is 800-973-0424
    • Relief as an Innocent Spouse: The number is 866-681-4271
    • Taxpayer Advocate Service: The number is 877-777-4778
    • International Taxpayer Advocate (English): The number is 787-522-8601
    • International Taxpayer Advocate (Spanish): The number is 787-522-8600

For Tax Professionals

    • Tax preparers and tax professionals: The number is 800-829-8374
    • Tax preparers and tax professionals with e-filing questions: The number is 866-255-0654
    • Tax practitioner priority service: The number is 866-860-4259
    • Tax professionals overseas: The number is 512-416-7750 or 267-941-1000

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *