Are you here because you are having a hard time choosing between Bora Bora and Moorea? If the answer to the question is yes, then you are in the right place as this post will feature a comparison between these two, including the difference.
Accommodation in Bora Bora and Moorea
Both Bora and Moorea offer overwater bungalows with the ones in Bora Bora are more pricey because they offer the luxury. If you have enough budget, you are recommended to choose Bora Bora because there are more options to choose from when it comes to overwater bungalows.
If you compare the Sofitel’s on both Bora Bora and Moorea, there is more marine life under the overwater bungalows in Bora Bora.
You will be able to find cheaper accommodation options in both Bora Bora and Moorea. The options include pensions or family run houses or bungalows. However, Moore wins because it offers more options.
Snorkeling in Bora Bora and Moorea
The snorkeling visibility is fantastic on both Bora Bora and Moorea. If you love the water that is virtually flat and if you like the more colorful marine life, then Bora Bora is best. It will be easier for you to access the deeper spots without having to fork out for a tour and there is also more variety of coral and fish.
The beaches in Bora Bora and Moorea
Moorea is blessed with more white sandy stretches compared to Bora Bora. If you prefer lying on a sun chair than snorkeling, the best option is Moorea.
Getting to in Bora Bora and Moorea
All of the international flights will land in Tahiti. From there, you will be able to go to either Bora Bora or Moorea. If you are wondering which one is the cheapest, the answer is Moorea. For your information, this one is closer to Tahiti and it offers the option of a ferry. By a ferry, you can get to Moorea in 30 to 45 minutes. The cost can be reduced if you fly with the whole family.
If you want to go to Bora Bora, there is a thing called Air Tahiti that will fly to Bora Bora in under an hour. Apart from this flight, there is also the boat option. The con of this cargo ship is that it takes 13 hours to arrive in Bora Bora.
Apparently, Bora Bora has its own mutu. In case your accommodation does not pick you up by the boat from the airport, you will have to take a water taxi that will cost you extra.
Things to do in in Bora Bora and Moorea
Things to do in Bora Bora:
- If you go with your partner, you can start each day with an amazing view from the overwater bungalow and never leave your accommodation if you want to. There are some resorts that offer breakfast by canoe.
- If you want to explore the water around you, you can walk outside the door to the ladder that descends into the water from the overwater bungalow.
- Enjoy your time by riding a boat around the island, make a stop at beaches or explore the fishes with a snorkel. Rest a bit at a small motu with a picnic. Keep going and keep enjoying the luxury and the relaxation offered by the place.
- The lagoon of Bora Bora is a really well-known stop for around the world. You can rent a Hobie Car or take a half day or sunset cruise around the lagoon with a huge catamaran with music.
- If you love adventure, you can take the interior roads in a 4×4 excursion around the small island and enjoy the majestic views. There is also an option to feed sharks and ways by hand in the shallow lagoon waters.
- If you are interested in history, you can check out the old marae temples along the coast and find the World War II relics.
- If you are curious about the foods, there are a lot of world class dining options offered by Bora Bora. Most of them offer the gorgeous lagoon views and some even offer the Polynesian shows.
Things to do in Moorea:
- You can find some of the best diving in Moorea. The options include canyons, chasms, and promontories.
- There is a thing called Moorea Dolphin Center that is perfect if you want to see a friendly dolphin. If you are an adult, you will be allowed to swim side by side with these dolphins and you can also take an educational excursion on a dolphin watching boat.
- If you love something related to history, Moorea does not lose to Bora bora. There is Papetoai Village for you. Feel free to go there. Plus, you can also see the octagonal church found in the northern coastal village.
- Aside from the natural beauty, Moorea also has a lot of wonderful restaurants. It will be hard for you to decide which one to visit as each of them offers stunning views alongside the lagoon. If you are with your loved ones, it is such a good option to enjoy the romantic night while eating Fresh, Italian, Chinese, and Tahitian cuisines.
- As part of Polynesian, Moorea has special local treatments and oils for the perfect escape. You can enjoy the treatments outdoors just before the sunset. Once the treatment is done, you can continue to please yourself with champagne while seeing the famous sunset glows of the island.
Overall cost of Bora Bora and Moorea
In general, Bora Bora is more expensive compared to Moorea due to the accommodation and air transport. If you are curious about the food, it is the same on both of them, even though it might depend on what and where you eat.
So, Bora Bora or Moorea?
If you have no issue with money, then choosing Bora Bora over Moorea is better. It is no doubt that both of them are stunning but Bora Bora is just more appealing and more majestic.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…