Probably, a lot of Windows users ask about what svchost.exe is and why there are so many processes of the Windows 10 Task Manager. Indeed, one of svchost.exe processes is Service Host Cryptographic Services. Then, you may be annoyed with this process and looking for ways to disable it.
What is svchost.exe Service Host Cryptographic Services?
Cryptographic Services is a Microsoft Windows feature which encrypts and decrypts data on your storage device as it is accessed. Moreover, this feature can be used for user authentication all the way to archival encryption or decryption. Specifically, this service will encrypts your PIN, password, secure your emails, fingerprints security protection and everything that is needed to be secured.
In other words, Cryptographic Services is a part of Service Host which is often found in the form of svchost.exe file.
Unfortunately, Cryptographic Service fails in providing a secure signature and returns an error message on your computer. The error here usually says “The Windows Cryptographic Service Provider reported an error the keyset is not defined, the key does not exist, the key not valid, the object was not found, invalid signature, the parameter is incorrect, access is denied”.
Well, when you get this error message, you suddenly will be amazed with it. Then, you instantly will find out the ways to fix its error. Generally, the error here happens because of a corrupted signature file or broken certificate settings. No worry! You are not the only one who experiences this.
Apart from this error, a lot of users also complain about any issues related to cryptographic services. The issues here are as follow:
- Windows Cryptographic Service Provider reported an error code 0, 1400
This issue occurs because of a third party security service provider. The main cause of concern for most users is “ePass 2003”.
- The Windows Cryptographic Service Provider error in Adobe
This issue definitely happens when this service fails to add signature to the pdf files when you open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- The Windows Cryptographic Service Provider error does not have the security token: Error 214807xxxx
Indeed, a distinctive certificate actually causes this issue but this error code may be different for different cases. However, To solve this error can be done by deleting the certificate from your computer.
Of course there are simple solutions to stop Cryptographic Service processes on your computer. Here they are:
Solution 1: Reboot Your computer
By taking this solution, you are required to reset your computer to the default in solving this problem.
Solution 2: Update Your Windows 10
From Windows settings, you definitely can update your Windows 10. If there are any pending updates of your Windows, it will be better to apply the update.
Solution 3: Update Adobe Reader
When you get the error of Cryptographic Service which makes it not running Adobe, the issue can only happen on pending updates of Adobe Reader. Make sure that you already update the latest version of Adobe Reader.
How to Fix Service Host Cryptographic Service?
Here are some fixes methods when you get Cryptographic Service error on your computer:
Fix 1: Restarting Cryptographic Service
The primary way to fix the Cryptographic Service error is to restart its service. Follow some instructions below in restarting Cryptographic Service:
- First, hit Windows Key + R to open Run service.
- Once run is opened, type “services.msc”. Click OK.
- When you are in the service Windows, you have to scroll down to find “Cryptographic Services” and right-click on it.
- After that, click on Restart.
- Close Service Windows.
- Last, you need to reboot your computer. Once you reboot it, you can check if the certificate issues still appear.
Well, if the first fix method cannot solve your problem, you can take the next fix method below.
Fix 2: Remove Adobe Acrobat Registry Key
Somehow, removing the Adobe Acrobat registry key from your computer will solve your Cryptographic service issue. Here are the following steps:
- All you have to do is to go to the Registry Editor. To open it, you need to press Windows key + S.
- Then, type “regedit” In the search box. Click “Registry Editor” to open it.
- On the left pane in the Registry Editor windows expand to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat.0.
- After that, right-click on the key. Select Export. (The key 11.0 will be different for any Acrobat version)
- Then, you can choose a suitable place to export the registry key.
- Type “backup1” on file name bar. Choose Save. Note: When you get a problem on, you definitely can use this backup registry key.
- Right-click on the 11.00 key. Choose Delete.
- Choose Yes to confirm deleting the key.
By following the steps above, it definitely will remove the problematic key from your computer.
Fix 3: Remove the Problematic Certificate
If both methods above cannot solve your problem, you definitely should remove the problematic certificate. To remove it, you need to open Internet Properties by following any steps below!
- First, hit Windows key + R to open run.
- Then, type “inetcpl.cpl”, press Enter to open Internet properties Windows.
- Choose the Content tab and click on the Certificates button.
- In the Certificates Windows, you have to check whether you can find any certificate in the Personal tab or not.
- If cannot, you have to click on the Other People tab to continue.
- After that, you can click on the problematic certificate. Click on Remove.
- Once you remove it, you can choose Close to quit from Certificate Windows.
- Last, close Internet Properties Windows.
Fix 4: Uninstall ePass2003-
The error code of ePass2003- will happen on third party software. Of course, if you confront this error code, the must-way that you have to do is to uninstall it.
- First of all, open Run by hitting the Windows Key + R.
- Then, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
- Under the “Uninstall or change program” section in the Program and Features Windows, you need to scroll down to find “ePass2003“. Then, double-click it to uninstall.
- Now, you have to reboot your computer.
- Once you reboot your computer, the must-next step is to download the setup files of Epass2003 by clicking on “ePass 2003 Auto (Windows 32/64 Bit)“.
- Then, find the downloaded file and double click on it to start the installation process.
- Click on Browse in the ePass2003 Setup window to select the installation directory. Choose Next.
- Now, you need to choose Microsoft CSP and choose Install.
- The installation process is done when you click the Finish button.
- Reboot your computer and everything goes well soon.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…