Thanks to advanced technology, everyone now can do a lot of things that used to seem impossible before. With the internet, people from all around the world can connect to each other online. Now, various information is available and can be accessed using the internet through a website.
A website is described as a collection of web pages contained in a domain or subdomain located on the World Wide Web (WWW) on the internet. One can visit a website because of the content available on that website. Google.com and Facebook.com are examples of these websites.
The information can be spread very fast through the website and it covers a wide area and is not limited by distance and time. In short, websites are one of the most important things to get and manage information.
Definition of Website According to Experts
According to katadata.co.id, there are a few definitions of websites according to the experts, as follows:
- Gregorius, 2000: According to him, a website is a collection of interconnected web pages and all files are linked together. The web consists of a page or pages and a collection of pages known as the homepage. The homepage is located at the top with related pages below it. Normally, every page below the homepage has hyperlinks to other pages on the web.
- Hakim Lukmanul, 2004: According to him, a website is known as an internet facility that connects documents locally and remotely. Documents on the website are called web pages and links on the website allow users to move from one page to another, both between pages stored on the same server or servers around the world. Pages can be accessed and read through browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and so on.
- Sholechul Azis, 2013: According to him, a website is an information page provided on the internet so that it can be accessed throughout the world as long as it is connected to the internet network. It is a component or collection of components consisting of text, images, sound, and animation, so it is interesting to visit.
Types of Websites
According to a book called CMM Website Interaktif MCMS Joomla (CMS), the types of website are divided based on nature, purpose, and programming language. The types of websites based on their nature include:
- Dynamic website: It refers to a website that provides content that is always changing at any time. An example of this kind of website includes online news media.
- Static website: It refers to a website whose content is rarely changed. The example of this website includes organizational profiles and so on.
Based on the purpose, the types of websites are divided into five, as follows:
- Personal website: It refers to a website that contains a person’s personal information.
- Corporate web: It refers to a website that is owned by a company.
- Portal website: It refers to a website that has many services, such as news services, email, and so on.
- Forum website: It refers to a website that aims to be a place for visitors to discuss something.
- Other websites: They include government websites, e-banking, e-payment, e-procurement, and so on.
There are two types of websites in terms of the programing language used, as follows:
- Server side: It refers to a website that uses a programming language that depends on the availability of a server, such as PHP, ASP, and so on. There is no way for the web built using a programming language to function properly if there is no server.
- Client side: It refers to a website that does not require a server to run. It can be accessed simply through a browser.
Functions of Website
The main function of a website is to convey information. This one can be used to convert visitors into prospects with the availability of information. If you are the administrator of the website, you can convert website visitors into leads by providing a form where they can submit their email addresses and other information. By doing so, these visitors can be turned into identified leads.
Apparently, prospects can be used for a variety of purposes. Some companies have websites and use leads to grow their business, reach customers and audiences, and increase the revenue of the company.
Aside from that, the website can be used by personal bloggers to share useful information with their readers. Not only can that share information, they can also earn money from it. One of the best and most common ways to make money from blogging is affiliate marketing. Through this kind of marketing, they do not have to have a product or service to offer. Instead, they can just promote the products produced and belong to the other people on the blog. Basically, they make money every time there is a customer who purchases the product through the link provided.
As described in a book called the Room Loan Information System, the general functions of the website are as follows:
- Media for communication
Websites with a communication function are usually counted as dynamic websites. They are created using web programming (server side) so that the facilities provided include communication functions, such as web mail, contact forms, chat forms, and so on.
- Media for Information
The websites that function as media for information emphasize the quality of the content provided because it is their main purpose. Text and graphics that can be downloaded quickly are included in the information functions on a website. An example of websites as media for information includes the news website.
- Media for Entertainment
Not only as media for communication and information, websites can also be used as media for entertainment. The animation, images, and moving elements on the websites can enhance the presentation of the design. The examples include online game sites, movies, music, and so on.
- Media for Transaction
In addition, websites can be used as media for business in the form of goods, services, and many more. Through this function, they can connect a few parties, including the companies, the customers, and certain communities. As for the payments, they can be made using a credit card, wire transfer, or paying in person.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…