NetLimiter is a tool that you are able to use for internet traffic control and monitoring for Windows. With it, you are able to have full network control over your computer and you are able to decide where your applications are permitted to connect and how fast these connections should be.
But, are there any other tools which are the same as NetLimiter that we can use as alternatives?
If you are looking for the best alternatives to NetLimiter and the same software, you come to the right place because here we will inform you about the best 10 alternatives to NetLimiter and the Similar software which are free licenses. So, what are they? You are able to check them below.
- More info: Why Does My AirPods Keep Disconnecting
This is a tool that you are able to use for configuring Windows Filtering Platform (WFP). You are able to use it for configuring network activity on your PC. This application is lightweight because its size is less than a megabyte.
Also, it is compatible with Windows Vista and higher operating systems. You are able to get this by downloading it and you can download the installer or portable version. However, if you want it to work correctly, you need administrator rights.
One of the features that you may like from this tool is its simple interface and also it is without annoying pop ups. What are other features of this too? Here are the features of this tool for more detail.
- It has a simple interface without having to face annoying pop ups.
- There is a rules editor where you are able to create your own rules.
- It has internal blocklist rules where it can block Windows spy / telemetry.
- You will be given packets information with notification and logging to a file feature (Win 7+).
- It is permitted packet information with logging to a file feature (win8+).
- It has Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL) support (win10).
- It has Windows Store support (win8+).
- It has Windows services support.
- It is free and open source.
- It has localization support.
- It has IPv6 support.
If you want to activate the portable mode, you have to create simplewall.ini in the application folder or you are able to move it from %APPDATA%\Henry++\simplewall.
If you are looking for a tool which you can use for controlling internet traffic and monitoring for Windows 7/8/10 which is a free license, Netbalancer is one of the options that you can choose. You are able to use it for setting download and upload transfer rate priority for any applications.
In addition, it can also be used to monitor internet traffic. So, with it, the apps which have a higher network priority will be able to have greater traffic bandwidth than the one which has less one. The license of it is free and the size of the file is 7 MB. The systems which can support it include Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 and 8.
When you open this tool for the first time, you will be able to see the list of all available applications together with network usage statistics. Also, there is a live graph which shows you download and upload. When you are using the live graph, you are able to see which applications are using the most bandwidth so that you are able to limit it easily.
If you want, you are even able to pause the graph at any time and examine the information closely. If you want to limit a particular application, it is very easy because you just have to double click it from the list and you are able to change its download and upload priority.
To set download or upload priority or limit, you can do it from the menu on the top. There is also a button that you are able to use for blocking all network traffic with a single click.
Here is the list of Netbalancer features.
- Priorities and Limits
You are able to set download and upload network priorities or limits for any process.
- Automation Support
For complete automation, you are able to use various command line commands and web APIs.
- Rules and Filters
You are able to define detailed traffic rules and filters for maximum control.
You are able to sync your computers with the service of Netbalancer and you are able to control them from the web control panel.
- Password Secured
With this tool, you are able to protect all settings and priorities with a password to prevent unauthorized changes.
- Monitor Processes
It will show all system processes with their download and upload speeds up to connections level.
- View History
You are able to see the detailed download and upload traffic history for any processes since first Netbalancer’s install.
- System Tray and Toolbar
Netbalancer will show the network traffic and other information in a system tray icon or taskbar toolbar.
- Support for IPv6
This tool has native IPv6 support for rules and filters.
- Tags and Bulk Commands
This tool will be able to apply tags to your computers and control them with bulk commands like a pro.
- Various Traffic Charts and Statistics
You are able to see detailed network traffic charts and statistics.
- Everything Encrypted
Everything in the Netbalancer’s system is encrypted including website traffic, sync traffic, all internal traffic, passwords and communications, all zeroes and ones are encrypted and hashed with TLS and SHA2 for maximum security.
If you want to download Netbalancer, you just have to access NetBalancer site and then go to the Download page.
This tool is a powerful bandwidth meter, monitor, traffic controller and firewall which can measure, display and control all traffic to or from your computer or on your network. It is not like the other products because BWMeter has the ability to analyze the data packets such as where they come from, where they go and which port and protocol they use.
It will make it possible to be able to distinguish between local and internet traffic. Also, you are able to use this tool for traffic control by setting a speed limit for all kinds of connections or restricting access of apps to certain internet sites.
Here are the key features of BWMeter.
- It has a graphical and numerical display of bandwidth.
- It has user definable filters for measuring bandwidth.
- It has user definable graphs that are useful for visualizing bandwidth.
- It can monitor all network interfaces / adapters.
- It can monitor and display all traffic on the network.
- It has a filter by network address, port, application, etc.
- It has firewall mode including interactive and silent.
- It has traffic control, access control and speed limits.
- It is able to create daily, weekly, monthly and yearly statistics.
- It will show statistics of other computers running BWMeter.
- There are alerts and notifications.
- It is able to create statistics of all local network and internet traffic.
- It has the ability to show hostile internet traffic (hackers, viruses, etc.).
- With this tool, you are able to export / import the statistics.
- It has ping support for monitoring web servers, internet connections, etc.
- If you want to install and configure it, it is easy and it has default options.
- It can support LAN, WAN, VPN, ADSL, xDSL, Modem, Dial-Up, etc.
- It has flexibility which is absolute.
- There are a lot of options for full customization.
- It has silent installation and uninstallation for mass deployment.
- Now, this tool can support Windows 10.
If you want to download BWMeter, the system requirements that you must meet include Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Server. It can be 32 or 64 bit.
The network monitor of this tool will be able to help you to restrict your bandwidth. Also, it is able to help you to communicate your network activity via your geo-location, application and traffic. This tool also comes with an in-built firewall and it uses graphs which are easy to use to do it.
You are able to see the cause of a casual spike in your network activity and you have the choice to avoid them in the future. You are able to do it by customizing your bandwidth traffic options.
With this tool, you also will be notified about spikes, the familiar perils, unexpected network system file changes, ARP spoofs and DNS changes. It is a free license and if you want to download it, it is important for you to know that the system support must be Linux, MacOS, Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7. The size of the file is 34.1 MB.
To be able to download this tool, you just simply access the GlassWire site and then in the home page of the site you will be able to see a Free Download button. Below, you are able to see the privacy and security features of this tool.
- You will be able to see who or what your PC is talking to on Glasswire’s network monitoring graph instantly and also you can see what your PC may have connected to in the past.
- It can detect spyware, malware, badly behaving apps, and bandwidth hogs and then block their connections.
- This tool is able to warn you of network related changes to your PC or unusual changes to your apps which could indicate malware.
- It has the ability to monitor other PCs on your network and you will be alerted when there are new unknown devices join your Wifi.
This software is free and has a very simple user-interface. You are able to install an employee PC to be able to monitor how much data has been used on a certain PC. Also, you are able to use this software to be able to show daily, weekly and monthly data consumption.
The license is free and the size of the file is 7 MB. If you want to download this software, the system support must be Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 or 8.
Here are the key features of NetWorx.
- It has a clear graphic and/or numeric display.
- Usage reports can be exported to a variety of file formats.
- It provides close supervision of uploads and downloads.
- It can support cable modems, ADSL, WiFi cards, and more.
- It has network information and testing tools with advanced netstat which shows applications using your Internet connection.
- There are options to notify the user or automatically disconnect from the Internet when the network activity exceeds a certain level.
- It has a speed meter for testing Internet connection speed.
- It has a connection Monitor for checking regular connection status.
App Network Counter
App Network Counter is a simple tool that you are able to use on Windows. This tool can help you to determine and show the number of TCP/ UDP bytes and packets that were sent and received by every app on your system.
For every app, the information is disclosed like the number of sent and received bytes, number or sent and received packets, number of sent or received IPv4 bytes and number of sent or received IPv6 bytes. With this tool, your work will be more simple.
If you want to use this tool, you have to make sure that the system support must be Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows XP. The size of the file is 58 KB in zip format and of course the license is free. If you want to download it, you are able to access nirsoft.net.
On that site, you have to scroll down and find the Download AppNetworkCounter button. You can choose whether you want to download for 32-bit or 64-bit. If you want to download or use it on Windows Vista and later, it will ask you to run as Administrator.
It is important for you to know that App Network Counter does not require any installation process or additional DLL files. To be able to start using it, you have to run the executable namely AppNetworkCounter.exe. After you run it, you will see that the main window shows every application which currently sends or receives data on your network.
It is important for you to note that network counters in this tool are not per process but per application. So, if there are a lot of processes for the similar application, this App Network Counter will merge them into one line. In addition, in case you close an application and then you run it again, the App Network Counter will also continue to update the network counters of the similar application entry.
You are able to clear the whole list at any time and start with an empty window. You are able to do that by pressing Ctrl + X for clearing all. Also, you are able to reset the network counters of chosen items and you are able to do that by pressing Ctrl + R.
Net Guard is another best alternative to Netlimiter. This tool has the same features and also it can be used on smart-phones. However, it is important for you to know that the drawback is able to be used only on smart-phones. It is a free software which can help you to be able to reduce data usage.
It comes with an interface which is simple and user-friendly. You are able to use it for allowed or denied individual program by using your Wifi or mobile data. If you want to use it for the home purpose, the free version is open source and you do not have to be worried because it comes without any advertisements. It can support IPv4 or IPv6 and it has an option to be able to block system applications at one click.
If you want to download this tool, you are able to find it on the Google Play Store.
It is an easy and intuitive way that you are able to use for managing your Linux firewall. It can support common tasks such as permitting or blocking opre-configured, common p2p, or individual ports and many others. This tool is powered by Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw).
If you want to install Gufw, you need to have the Universe repository enabled. To be able to install, you have to use Synaptic or you are able to run from Terminal: sudo apt-get install gufw. How to access Gufw? If you want to access Gufw, you have to go to the System and then choose Administration.
After that, you have to choose Firewall configuration. By default, you will be able to see that the firewall is disabled. If you want to enable the firewall, you have to check the Enabled button and then the default will be set to Deny for incoming traffic and Allow for outgoing traffic.
If you use this tool, it will permit you to limit download and upload bandwidth globally per interface and per process and even during the runtime of the process. You are able to adjust the configuration easily and new limits can be applied at any point.
Other tools are not like Traffic toll because other tools can only register predetermined global limits to the interface, certain ports. Also, they have to begin the process through them to be able to re-establish the target process to change the ceilings.
The system support is Linux and if you want to download it, you are able to access Github site.
- Don’t miss: How to Fix Only One AirPod Working
This tool is a fronted for the OS X PF network firewall. With it, you are able to do basic filtering to advanced proactive options. This tool permits you to be able to configure a complex network setup dragging and dropping icons and moving sliders and choosing checkboxes.
This tool is designed with ease of use in mind, yet full of advanced options and monitoring tools. This tool is good for everyone from the average user to the experienced UNIX guru or system administrator and even for educational purposes.
Murus has three options including Murus Lite, Murus Basic, and Murus Pro. Murus Lite is the entry level firewall front end and you are able to download it and use it for free for non-commercial use. It offers inbound filtering and logging and you are able to use it for protecting services running on the Mac.
Murus Basic features a lot of advanced features and it includes all you need to build a strong and reliable firewall configuration with a high customization level for both inbound and outbound connections. You are able to access advanced features like port knocking, adaptive firewall and custom rules.
How about Murus Pro? It unleashes the great power of PF offering a wide set of features. Of course, it has the most complete front end for PF and it is bundled with the companion app PF Log Reader and Vallum application-level firewall. You are able to build and maintain a fully customized network infrastructure with your Mac.
Here are the features which are offered by Murus.
- It is easy for you to configure and enable PF in a few clicks or choose one of the predefined configuration profiles.
- It has firewall filtering.
- It has firewall logging.
- It has a configuration overview.
- It has port management.
- It has dummy bandwidth management.
- It offers you port knocking hidden services.
- It has NAT and port forwarding.
- It has proactive protection.
- It provides notifications and monitors.
If you want to download Murus, you just have to access the official site at murusfirewall.com. And then, when you are in the Murus home page, you have to access the Downloads page by clicking on the Downloads menu at the top of the home screen.
When you click on it, the page will scroll down automatically and bring you to the Download section. There, you are able to click the Murus button under the Download Murus. There, it is also written that Murus requires macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave or 10.15 Catalina.
However, for Murus 2.0.4 Beta, it requires ,acOS 10.14.6 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur Beta. And for Murus 1.4.22, it is available for older systems such as macOS 10.9, 10.11, 10.12.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…