In Minecraft Education Edition, you are able to start coding. You will be able to use the Agent which is your robotic code building companion to be able to complete coding challenges in the game. The challenges are arranged by the difficulty beginning from the easiest one and it ends in the most difficult one.
Commands Used in Code Builder
Below, we provide you the commands for Agent and commands for World that you can use for code builder in Minecraft Education.
Commands for Agent
- move [string direction]
This command tries to move the Agent in a specified direction.
- turn [string direction]
This command tries to rotate Agent 90 degrees.
- place [int slotNum] [string direction]
It puts a block in the chosen inventory slot in direction specified.
- till [string direction]
It will till the soil with diamond hoe in the direction specified.
- attack [string direction]
It will attack in direction specified with diamond sword strength.
- destroy [string direction]
It can destroy any type of block by a single hit in the direction specified.
- collect [string item]
This command will try to collect items.
- drop [int slotNum] [int quantity] [string direction]
It will drop specified Inventory Slot Numbered Items in the specified quantity in the specified direction.
- dropall [string direction]
It will drop all inventory items in the specified direction.
- detect [string direction]
It can detect whether there is a destructible Block in direction specified.
- inspect [string direction]
It returns the name of the block in the specified direction.
- inspectdata [string direction]
It will return the data value of the block in the specified direction.
- detectredstone [string direction]
It can detect the signal of Redstone in a specified direction.
- getitemdetail [int slotNum]
It can return the name of the item in the specified slot.
- getitemspace [int slotNum]
It can return the number of spaces which are remaining in the specified slot.
- getitemcount [int slotNum]
It will return the number of items in the specified slot.
- transfer [int srcslotNum] [int quantity] [int dstslotNum]
It will transfer a specified quantity of items from the chosen slot to another specified a lot of the Inventory of Agent.
It can teleport agents to the player.
Commands for World
Here, we give you some commands for World. To see more complete, you can check Minecraft Education site.
- executeasother [target origin] [blockpos position] [string command]
It will execute another command as the specified target. If they do not have permission for the command, it will fail.
- give [target player] [string itemName] *[int amount] *[int data]
It will give an item to a player.
- kill *[target target]
It will kill entities (players, items, mobs etc.). By default, it will kill local player.
- setblock [blockpos position] [string tileName] *[int tileData] *[string oldBlockHandling]
It will change a block to another block.
- summon [string entityType] [blockpos spawnPos]
It can try to summon an entity at a specified position.
- timesetbyname [string time]
It will set in game time.
- timesetbynumber [int time]
It will set in game time to ‘day’ or ‘night’.
- weather [string type] [int duration]
It will set the weather for the specified duration.
How to Use Code Builder
In the new version of Minecraft Education Edition, you are able to launch Code Builder easily. The thing that you have to do first is to open a world in Minecraft. And after that, you have to press C on the keyboard. If you are an iPad or touch device user, you have to choose the Agent icon which can be found at the top of your screen. When you access Code Builder, there are choices of learn-to-code platforms. Below, we provide you the step by step to use code builder.
- First, you have to open Minecraft Education Edition and then you have to go to the template world Blocks of Grass.
- Next, when you are in the world, you have to press C if you are using a mouse or keyboard. Or, you can press the icon beside pause or chat on the top center of the screen while on touch.
- Here, you have to choose Microsoft MakeCode as your coding option for the goals of this course.
- For your information, the buttons and navigation tools that can be found on the top of the code builder window permit for different movement. You can try the practice below.
- You can expand the Code Builder window to full screen by using the button which shows arrows that are pointing to each corner.
- After that, you need to shift the Code Builder window from right or left and back again by using a button which looks to be split vertically in half.
- Now, you have to close the Code Builder window and you can do that by clicking the X on the top right.
- Here, you must reopen Code Builder by hitting C if you are using a mouse or keyboard. Or, you can press the icon beside pause or chat on the top center of the screen while on touch.
- In this step, you have to close Code Builder one more time and you can do that by clicking the X on the top right.
- Now, you can practice to remove your agent. You can type ‘/’ to open the command screen and then finish typing the command “/remove @c” to be able to remove your agent from the world. The agent has been deleted when it disappears in a cloud of smoke and the screen will state Removed JohnD Agent.
Now, the Agent shows its coordinates as you code. You are able to find your Agent easily by using the Agent Spawn Egg to make your lessons even more efficient. Do you want to target your Agent? You are able to do that through commands and then remove agents from the world by using the slash command /remove.
With Code Builder for Minecraft Education Edition, educators and students are permitted to create, explore and play in a Minecraft world. Minecraft cooperates with familiar learn-to-code platforms such as Microsoft MakeCode and Tynker so that you as a player will not only be able to develop computational thinking, but you are also able to apply your creations process across the curriculum.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…