If you are an iPhone user, you definitely want to transfer any files between two machines using the SSH command. The command here is used to start connecting to the SSH server on a remote machine. In this case, you may want to SSH into your iPhone using WinSCP. So, let’s find out how to do it!
How to Use WinSCP to Use SSH with the iPod Touch and iPhone (All Generations)
Certainly, there are some steps that you can follow to use WinSCP to use SSH with iPod Touch and iPhone. But, the primary thing that you have to recognize is to ensure that you are using an iPod Touch or iPhone then you also take your PC Windows to do it. The ways are as follow:
Step 1: Open SSH on your iPhone or iPod Touch
The first thing that you have to do is to open SSH on your iPhone or iPod. Of course, if you have not SSH installed on your device, you need to install it first. Here are the steps to open SSH on your iPhone or iPod:
- On your Springboard, choose the Cydia icon.
- Then, tap to choose the Sections tab at the bottom of the screen.
- After that, tap to choose the Networking from the list of Sections.
- Tap to choose OpenSSH from the list of Packages.
- In this way, you need to hit the Install button at the top right of the screen.
- Choose the Confirm button at the top right of the screen.
- After the installation process is successfully completed, tap the large Return to Cydia button.
- Then, click on the home button to return to the Springboard on your iPhone.
Step 2: Get the IP Address of the iPhone
Once you installed the SSH on your iPhone, it is time for you to get the IP Address of the iPhone.
- To get it, you need to click on the Settings button on your Springboard.
- Then, tap to choose the Wi-Fi from the Settings Menu.
- Ensure that you have connected to a wireless network, click on the circular blue arrow button.
- Here, you will see your IP address from the Wi-Fi details screen. Make sure to take a note of your IP address.
Step 3: Launch WinSCP on your Windows
It is a good time for you to launch the WinSCP once you get your IP address for the iPhone. To launch WinSCP on your Windows, make sure that you follow some steps below!
- When you want to launch WiNSCP on your Windows, make sure that you are on the same wireless network as your iPhone.
- Instead, if you do not have a WinSCP yet on your Windows, you definitely can download it at http://winscp.net/download/winscp418.exe. Then, you need to install it by following the steps until the installation process finishes.
- Once you have WinSCP installed on your Windows, it is your turn to launch it by clicking it on your desktop or in the Start menu.
- After the WinSCP opens, you have to enter your iPhone’s Address into the Host Name field on the WinSCP Login window.
- Then, you can enter root as your iPhone username and type alpine as the password. Click on the Login button.
- Now, you will see that WinSCP is connecting to your iPhone. It may take 30-45 seconds when you first login using SSH.
- You may get a Warning pop-up screen, here you need to click the Update or Add button.
- Well, WinSCP will successfully log to your iPhone after taking about 30-45 seconds.
- Here, you will be directed into /private/var/root directory.
Step 4: Transfer a File to iPhone
After WinSCP is connected to your iPhone, you can start to transfer a file to the iPhone by following some steps:
- In order to get the root folder of your iPhone, you surely can select/ from the drop down menu on the right side of the window.
- Here, you will get access to all the folders on your iPhone, for example the Application folder.
- If you want to transfer a file to your iPhone, you can simply find your local file using the left pane. Then, in the right pane, navigate to the desired location.
- To copy or transfer the file to your iPhone, you can drag the file from the left pane to the right pane.
Congratulations! You already now use SSH with WinSCP to transfer a file to your iPod or iPhone. Make sure that you do not miss a step above to get a successful goal.
Note: To transfer a file to your iPhone, it is a great option for you to set auto-lock to never. You can set it by going to Settings, tap General, tap Auto-Lock and set to never.
What is WinSCP?
Of course, not all Windows users will recognize this program and they may not know the function of this program. In this case, WinSCP is an open source free program for WebDAV client, FTP client, SFTP Client, S3 client and SCP client for Windows. Well, the basic function of WinSCP is to transfer any files between two machines, they are a local and a remote computer. Besides, WinSCP also offers the basic file manager and scripting.
Here are the features of WinSCP that you have to know:
- Available in many languages
- Graphical user interface
- All common operations with the files
- Sharing site settings with PuTTY
- Support for public key, keyboard-interactive, password and Kerberos (GSS) authentication
- Integration with Windows
What is SSH on iPhone?
Apart from WinSCP, you also have to know the term of SSH that you will find on your iPhone. SSH stands for Secure Shell which means UNIX-based network protocol that allows us to access a computer (remote) over the network securely. Moreover, SSH gives us an encrypted and secure tunnel between two machines.
With SSH, you can manage iDevice, modify, transfer files and also solve problems that often arise on iOS that cannot be resolved in the normal way. SSH is a must-have function on every iDevice. However, this SSH cannot be activated without a jailbreak. Therefore, to use SSH you have to jailbreak your iDevice first.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…