If you lost your android phone because it was stolen, there are a number of ways to find your android. One of the ways is by using an IMEI number. How to track a stolen android phone by using IMEI number? The explanation is presented below.
The Steps To Do To Track a Stolen Android Phone Using IMEI Number
According to the Cashify site, here are the steps that you are able to take to track your stolen Android phone by using IMEI number.
- The first thing that you have to do is to file a report to the police that you lost your phone. You have to make sure that you keep a copy of the report.
- Now, you have to contact your service provider to issue a duplicate SIM card. When you request the blocking of the IMEI number, you will receive an OTP on this number. It will permit you to be able to track your lost Android.
- Now, you have to visit this site https://ceir.gov.in/Request/CeirUserBlockRequestDirect.jsp to block the IMEI and attach the required documents. The things that you need are a copy of the police report, identity proof, purchase invoice and other details.
- Then, you will get an OTP on the number that you entered and it should be the same number that was active on your android before it was lost.
- Now, a request ID will be given to you and you are able to check the status of the request or to unblock the IMEI if needed in the future.
According to the Gearbest site, here is the explanation about using IMEI for finding a stolen Android. You are able to find the IMEI number by dialing *#06#. This is a command which can be used to see the IMEI number. Alternatively, you are able to find the IMEI of your Android by navigating through Settings and then you have to tap About Phone. There, you are able to check the IMEI number of your Android.
However, the IMEI number can also be found on the reverse side of a phone or under the removable battery. If you still have the packaging of your android, you can still find the IMEI number on the label.
It is important for you to note that if your Android supports two SIM cards at the same time, there are two different IMEI numbers.
Now, after you find the IMEI number of your lost or stolen Android, you are able to find the lost or stolen Android by using an IMEI tracker app. To use the IMEI tracker app, you are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to search for IMEI Tracker in Google Play. You must find AntiTheft App & IMEI Tracker All Phone Location. You also have to make sure that your phone is running on Android 4.4 or higher. After that, you must install the app.
- After the installation process is done, now you have to run the app. You have to give all the permissions that the IMEI tracker app asks for and those include contacts, calls, SMS, storage and location. If you have to track your Android, all these permissions will be needed to activate full functionality.
- In this step, you have to press the Continue button. It can be done after you watch a short commercial. For your information, this app is free, but it has ads that you have to watch and you are not able to skip the ads. If the video is not loaded yet, you cannot go to the next step.
- Now, you have to enter the IMEI number of your lost Android phone. You have to check your input and then tap Track. Then, you will see a small window which has a list of places where it shows the location and close proximity of your phone.
What Is the IMEI Number?
After you know how to track your stolen Android by using the IMEI number as explained above, now you may wonder what the IMEI number is. Well, first you need to know that IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It is a unique number which consists of 15 digits and it can be found in every phone. As explained on the Gadgets Now site, this number is an identity certificate for your phone and the IMEI number cannot be changed. If you buy a new phone, the IMEI number can be found on the box or inside the Settings functionality. If your Android is lost, this number can be useful for tracking the location of your lost android.
Is It Possible The IMEI Number Changed by The Thieves?
You may wonder whether the IMEI number can be changed by thieves or not. The answer is yes. The IMEI number is able to be changed by the thieves by using a device which is known as a flasher. What is a flasher? Flasher is a small technologically advanced device which can help connect the handset to a computer and it can permit the user to modify the IMEI number. After the IMEI number is modified, then it will be impossible to find the lost smartphone.
The Possibility to Unblock IMEI
Now, you may also wonder whether you are able to unblock IMEI or not after it is blocked. As explained on the Gadgets Now site, after your IMEI number is blocked, it will be blacklisted thus forbidding you to use your mobile from then on. It is important for you to note that the function of blocking device is for protective purposes such as because of theft incidents. If the purpose is solved, then one can legally unblock the blacklisted IMEI number.
Well, that’s the information that I can share to you about IMEI number including how to use it to track your stolen or lost Android, about the IMEI number itself, the possibility to change the IMEI number by the thief and also the possibility to unblock IMEI.
Even though you are able to track your phone by using IMEI number and the other ways to find stolen or lost phones, it is important for you to be careful in carrying your cell phone to avoid it from stealing and losing.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…