Your device may be a Chromebook and you want to play Among Us on your Chromebook with a keyboard. How to do that? You are able to read the information about playing Among Us on Chromebook with the keyboard below according to the Platypus Platypus site.
Playing Among Us on Chromebook with Keyboard using Steam Proton 5
According to the Platypus Platypus site, if you use Steam, it can make playing Among Us easy and it is the only way to use a WASD keyboard and mouse controls on a Chromebook. If you use Steam Proton, it permits you to play Windows games on Linux. For your information, it is built by Valve which is the similar company behind Steam and you are also able to download on your Chromebook. If you do not want to use a gamepad or touchscreen, you are able to use Steam Proton.
Proton is a Steam launcher which plays Linux games at its core. Here are the steps to play Among Us with a keyboard by using Steam Proton according to the Platypus Platypus site.
- The first thing that you have to do is to install Linux and Steam on your Chromebook.
- After that, you have to sign in to your Steam account.
- Next, the thing that you have to do is to go to Steam and then choose Settings. After that, you must choose Account and choose Beta Participation. And then, you have to select Steam Beta Update and do not forget to press Ok.
- Now, Steam will restart.
- You have to return to Settings and you have to find the “Steam Play” menu option which can be found on the left.
- Now, you have to click on it and enable the options below.
- You have to enable Steam Play for supported titles.
- You have to enable Steam Play for all titles.
- You need to use this tool instead of game-specific selections from Steam.
- Now, you need to change the compatibility tool to Proton 5.
- And last, you must click on OK.
After you have enabled Proton, you need to be able to launch Among Us straight from your game library. According to the Platypus Platypus site, it does not require you to buy and own the game on Steam. However, for a small price, you will have a working copy which permits keyboard controls on your Chromebook. It should be able to work with Mint 19, Ubuntu 20.01, Debian, and Manjaro.
If you want, you are also able to try running an earlier version of Proton, such as Proton 4 and it can be done by toggling the drop-down menu selector on the game properties page.
If it does not work, you are able to try using a previous version of Proton such as 4.11-13. You are able to change the version by going to Among Us and choose Properties and then choose Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool. After that, you have to choose Proton 4.11 – 13 and then Apply and Save. Now, the game should start properly.
If you find that the game does not launch or you are kicked out, you are able to do the steps below.
- You have to right click on Among Us.
- Then, you have to go to Properties.
- Then, you need to find the startup option filed.
- Now, you have to type in this:
- Startup option = PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
- Then, Apply and Save.
On YouTube, there is also a video entitled How To Get Keyboard Controls in Among Us On Chromebook which was uploaded by IrwinTech on October 30th, 2020 and it has been watched more than 85k times. This video may be watched by you to know more about getting keyboard controls in Among Us on Chromebook.
The Steps to Install Among Us on Chromebook
You are able to install Among Us on Chromebook from Play Store. This is the easiest way to get this game on your Chromebook. The thing that you have to do is to go to the Play Store, find the game and then press the Install button. After that, you are able to launch it.
Here are the steps to install Among Us on Chromebook from Google Play Store.
- First, you have to click on the Launcher button which can be found at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Then, you must find the Play Store or search for it and then launch it.
- After the store opens, you have to search for Among Us.
- You have to find the game on the search results and click on it.
- Then, click on the big green “Install” button which can be found at the top right of the screen.
The game will be in your Launcher library of apps when it has been installed. You can open the Launcher to see it.
If the method above does not work, you can use the power of Linux to install the game. Linux will permit you to do things that you cannot on Chrome OS due to the restrictions. After you get Linux installed with a simple distro (Ubuntu), you can do things that you thought that you could not. However, it is important for you to note that you have to backup your data before you do the things which involve Linux. You are able to save your files to Google Drive, SD Card, Dropbox, or any other backup hard drive which is compatible with Chrome OS.
There are two methods to get Linux, but here I will only explain one method namely Linux (beta) where it is a feature which is built into Chrome OS and it permits you to run a copy of Ubuntu without going through any messy installations.
After you enable Linux Beta, you have to get WINE where it permits you to run Windows programs on Linux. If you want to get WINE, you have to launch terminal “CTRL + ALT + T” and then you have to type this command:
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
Depending on the version of Ubuntu that you downloaded, you have to choose from these:
- Ubuntu 20.10:
sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ groovy main’
- Ubuntu 20.04/Linux Mint 20.x
sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main’
- Ubuntu 18.04/Linux Mint 19.x
sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main’
- Ubuntu 20.10:
After that, you have to download Among Us for PC. You have to download and install it on your Chromebook. There will be an icon for it under Menu > Applications > Games > Among Us. You have to click on it and play the game.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…