You may ever get a problem in which you cannot open a .nomedia file on your device either Android, computer or laptop. Indeed, it is a common issue when you already have no appropriate app to open it on your device. In other words, the lack of suitable software or apps that can support Nomedia among apps installed is the biggest issue that usually occurs.
How to Open Nomedia Files from Phone to Laptop
At least, there are two smart ways that you can take to open Nomedia files from Phone to Laptop either without any apps or using any apps. To note, Nomedia files are generally found on Android devices.
You may already know that Nomedia files are stored on an Android mobile device, or on an external storage card connected to an Android device. This marks the attached folder as having no multimedia data so the folder will not be scanned and indexed by the multimedia player. Nomedia files do not have a filename prefix and are just named. Nomedia.
Unfortunately, it may be hard to open it on Android because it will need an app that can be run on Windows, Mac or other platforms. So, to be able to open Nomedia files from Phone to Laptop, make sure that you already send or transfer the Nomedia file from Android phone to Laptop/computer.
Way 1: Open Nomedia File Without Any Apps
Here are the steps that you have to follow to open Nomedia files on Windows without any apps:
- First, go to the File Explorer.
- Choose My Computer/ This PC.
- Then, just click the view option under the title bar.
- In the Show/Hide section, you just need to check the box before *File Name Extension*.
- Once you’re checking it, just head over to your Nomedia file.
- In this step, you can now rename and see the file extension.
- Here, you can try to apply trial & error methods to open .nomedia files. You definitely can rename the file with some the common extension as follow:
- .exe (for executable files or applications)
- .bat (for batch files)
- .jpg/.jpeg or .png (for pictures/photos)
- .mp3/.mp4 (for videos and songs)
- .txt/.rtf/.docx (for text/word files)
- .rar/.zip (for compressed files
- Let’s try with the first one is .exe extension.
- Need to remember that you should enter the extension after the (.).
- After you enter the extension, you can press Enter.
- Now, it will show a dialog box, just click Yes.
To note, if the .exe file extension is not working, you definitely can try to use another file extension until there is a file extension that can be used to change .nomedia file extension so it can open the nomedia file.
Way 2: Open Nomedia File With Apps
Of course, there are a lot of apps that you can use to open media files for Windows. We guess that you will not install all apps to open media on your computer. It means that you just choose the best and the trusted one. Then, run it on your computer. From the list of apps below, you definitely can try to just use one app or try to run it one-by-one until there is an app that can solve your problem.
Well, here is a list of apps that you can use to open Nomedia file on Windows:
- Windows Live Photo Gallery
The first app that you can use is Windows Live Photo Gallery. Indeed, this app is free to download and available in all formats such as jpg, jpeg, png, pdf, dmg, wdp, bin and many more. Moreover, Windows Live Photo Gallery is a software for organizing images. When using it, you are free to browse through all the folders and search for images quickly. Also, the quality of your images will be maintained.
- VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a software to play various multimedia files (files), both video and audio in various formats, such as MPEG, DivX, Ogg, and others. VLC Media Player can also be used to play DVDs, VCDs, and CDs.
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
Media Player Classic Home Cinema is the original version of Media Player Classic which features some interesting news and in effect will launch an application that hasn’t been updated in two years.
- Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery is an app to open media developed by Microsoft Corporation. This app definitely contains an image library of the users who can use upload images to SharePoint app web. Photo Gallery app is also an app part added to the host web to show the images in a user friendly manner.
- File Type Advisor
File Type Advisor is designed to help in the situation when you cannot open a Nomedia file either on Android or Laptop. This app actually provides you with a detailed description of every format in question. So, we recommend this app to open or also convert Nomedia files.
There are still many apps for Windows that can help you to open a Nomedia file.
Once you’ve already installed one of the apps on your laptop so it is a great time to run it. Of course, every device will have a different way to do it.
- Right click on any Nomedia file.
- Then, choose “Open with” and then “Choose another app”.
- Now you can choose another program.
- Last, check the “Always use this app to open * .NOMEDIA files” box for the final way.
- Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the Nomedia File.
- After that, choose “Open with” and then “Other …”.
- Then select another program and check the “Always Open With” box.
- Right click on the Nomedia file.
- Then, choose “Open with” and choose another program.
- Tap the Nomedia file.
- But, if you don’t see an app to open the file, then tap Share “Share” and choose the app. Or, save the file.
- After that, you can open the File apps. Press on the file for a longer time.
- You will see a black menu bar. Then tap “Share” and select an app.
- Tap the Settings icon on your smartphone
- Then tap the Applications section.
- Tap the Options icon at the top right corner of the screen to change the default application.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…