Do you have a JNLP file on your PC or Mac but you do not know how to open it? Well, if you want to open it, you need Java Web Start. Here, we inform you how to open a JNLP file with Java Web Start on Windows PC or Mac and even we also provide you the information of how to download and install the latest version of Java if you do not have it yet.
Downloading and Installing The Latest Version of Java
If you want to open the JNLP file on your PC, you have to make sure that you have the Java program. If you do not have it yet, you are able to download and install it by following the steps below. Before you download it, you can check whether your PC has Java or not. On your PC, you have to click on the Windows Search field and then there you have to type ‘Java’. Alternatively, you are able to scroll through the list of alphabetized apps for the Java program. If there is no Java, it means that Java is not installed on your PC. If you use Mac, you can check whether you have Java or not by going to Finder and then go to Applications and then choose Utilities Folder. There, you should see a Java folder. However, if you do not see it there, it means that your Mac does not have Java.
Well, if you have checked your PC or Mac and you see that there is no Java there, you are able to download and install it by following the steps below.
- To download Java, you have to access Java.com.
- There, you have to click on the Java Download button. You do not have to be worried about the OS that you use because the site will recognize automatically what OS that you are using and then it will direct you to the appropriate Download page.
- Then, when you are on the Download page, you have to click on the Agree and start free download button so that the download will start.
- If the file is downloaded, now you have to click the install launcher and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Opening JNLP File with Java Web Start on PC
If you open and edit the JNLP file associations on your PC which runs Windows 10, you are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to navigate to the Control Panel and you can do that from the Start window.
- After that, you have to access Programs and then choose Default Programs.
- Next thing that you have to do is to click on Select Your Default Programs.
- In this step, you have to select Choose Default Applications by File Type.
- Here, you have to select JNLP from the list of extension types.
- And now, you have to choose the option to Change Program.
- You have to choose More Apps here.
- And then, you have to choose Look For Another App on This PC.
- You have to navigate to the Java folder which can be found in your Program Files (x86) folder.
- Click through the jre[version#] and Bin folders to the javaws.exe application. It is the Java Web Start application launcher and then you have to select it by double clicking on it.
- Now, you have to confirm the choice and you can do that by pressing the Close button and then complete the process.
- Now, the Java Web Start app will open JNLP files whenever you click on them.
Opening the JNLP File with Java Web Start on Mac
If you use Mac, you are able to open the JNLP file with Java Web Start by following the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the Finder and then you have to find the JNLP file that you want to open.
- After that, you have to right click the JNLP file and then choose Get Info.
- In this step, from the JNLP file information screen, you have to click on the arrow beside Open With.
- You have to choose Java Web Start from the list of apps in the drop down menu and then if you see that it is not listed in the first group of options, you have to choose Other and then find it in the complete list of apps.
- Here, after you choose the right app, you have to click on the Change All to apply the change to all JNLP file types in the future.
- At last, you have to finalize the process by clicking on the Continue button.
- From now, every time you click on a JNLP file on your Mac, it will be opened automatically with the correct Java application.
What is a JNLP file?
According to the File Info site, a JNLP file is made in the Java Network Launching Protocol format. It loads information such as the remote address for downloading a Java program (.JAR file) and the initial class to run .JNLP files which are utilized to launch and also manage Java programs through a network or on the web.
This file is saved in an XML format and you are able to view it or edit it with a text editor. To run the program, you can double click on it if the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is installed. It is important for you to know that the JRE includes Java Web Start technology which can open JNLP files and also runs the specified instructions.
What Is Java Web Start?
Have you heard or used Java Web Start software? But, what is it? Well, it is a software which permits you to be able to download and run Java applications from the web. What can this software do? Here are the things that Java Web Start can do for you.
- It provides an easy activation of the application because you will do it only in one click.
- It guarantees that you are always running the latest version of the application.
- It can eliminate complicated installation or upgrade procedures.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…