ICS file is an iCalendar file. Usually, the format of ICS is used to send other people meeting requests. Also, it is a tool for subscribing to holiday or birthday calendars. But, how to open an ICS file? In this article, you will find the answer because here we will inform you about it.
Opening An ICS File
If you want to open ICS files, you are able to open it by using certain programs. Some of them are:
- Mozilla Thunderbirds
- Microsoft Outlook
- Apple Calendar
- ICS File Converter
- Google Calendar
If you want to open it by using the Apple Calendar app, it will be very easy. Even you will be able to easily import the events directly into the application.
If you choose to use Google Calendar, it will take a couple steps to import an event. How to do that? You can follow the steps below.
- First, you have to access the Settings menu by clicking on the small gear icon that you are able to find beside the question mark in your Google Calendar.
- After that, you have to choose the Import & Export option.
- On the right side, you will see that there is a new window. You are able to search your computer for the ICS file by clicking on the Select File From Your Computer. You have to choose it and open it.
- Automatically enter the event by selecting Import.
Opening ICS File Using Microsoft Outlook
How about opening an ICS file using Microsoft Outlook? You are able to follow the steps below to be able to open an ICS file by using Microsoft Outlook.
- The first thing that you have to do is of course to open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- After that, the thing that you have to do is to go to File.
- The next thing that you have to do is to click on Open & Export.
- You will see that there is a new window which will appear on the right side. You have to select the Open Calendar option which can be found at the top.
- In this step, you are able to search your computer for the file and choose it. Do not forget to confirm your selection by clicking on Open.
- Then, you will be asked whether you want to open the file as a new calendar or import it into an existing calendar. If you click on Import, the entry will automatically be added to your calendar.
It will be easier for you if your Microsoft Outlook is set as your default program for opening ICS files. The thing that you have to do is to open the file by double clicking on it. Then, the event and the name of the event will be added automatically to your calendar. Or, you can use another way. You are able to use the Import or Export function. If you decide to use this method, there will be an additional step where you have to specify that you want to open an ICS file.
Opening and Importing an ICS File Using Thunderbirds
As you read above that you can also open and import an ICS file by using Thunderbird. However, it is important for you to know that if you open and import an event as an ICS file in the Mozilla Thunderbirds calendar, you are not able to set it as the default program. So, this method can be used by you to import event files.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the Thunderbird Calendar.
- After that, you have to navigate to the Events and Tasks option in the drop down menu.
- In this step, you have to choose Import.
- By doing it, it will open a new window where you are able to choose the ICS file that you want to add. Then, you must click on OK to confirm.
- Now, you have to specify which calendar that you want to add the event to and confirm your selection.
- Automatically, the event will be added to the Mozilla Thunderbird calendar.
You may want to use another method to add ICS files to your Thunderbird calendar. If so, you are able to use the drag and drop method. How to do that? The thing that you have to do is to open up your daily schedule on the right side of the calendar. After that, you have to drag the ICS file from the file attachment or its hard drive location onto the schedule. By doing this, automatically the event will be added and then you have to save it.
What Is An ICS File?
What is an ICS file? Some of you who try to read this article may wonder about it. Well, ICS file is a calendar file which is saved in a universal calendar format. It is usually used by several email and calendar programs such as Apple Calendar, Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook. This file permits you to be able to publish and share calendar information on the website and over email. Often, this file is used to send meeting requests to other users who can import the events into their own calendars.
In what format is this file saved? Well, the files are saved in a plain text format and there is information in it including the title, summary, start time and end time for the event in the calendar. The format of the calendar also can support event updates and cancellations.
Can we convert an ICS file to the other file formats? The answer is yes. You are allowed to convert your ICS file to the other formats. You can convert it to PDF, CSV, XLSX and HTML with the ICS file converter web program.
Well, that’s the information that we are able to give to you about an ICS file. Hopefully, this article is helpful and after this we hope that you are able to open or import the ICS file correctly. If you need the other information related to IT or Windows, you are able to read the other articles on this site.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…