When you are playing Fortnite, you may want to know the latency so that you need to do a ping test. Latency, as explained on the Epic Games, is defined as the time that it takes for a data packet to travel from your computer to the servers of Fortnite and back to your computer. It is measured in milliseconds (ms). How do we do the Fortnite ping test?
Good server you can try: https://gameserverping.com/fortnite-battle-royale
Methods for Doing Fortnite Ping Test
According to the Epic Games, you are able to check your ping to their data centers, namely:
- NA-East: ping-nae.ds.on.epicgames.com
- NA-Central: ping-nac.ds.on.epicgames.com
- NA-West: ping-naw.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Europe: ping-eu.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Oceania: ping-oce.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Brazil: ping-br.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Asia: ping-asia.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Middle East: ping-me.ds.on.epicgames.com
If you use Windows 10, you are able to use this method for doing Fortnite a ping test.
- First, you must click on the Start.
- After that, you need to type cmd and then hit Enter.
- In this step, you need to enter this: ping -n 50
For example: ping ping-nae.ds.on.epicgames.com -n 50
- After that, hit Enter and 50 packets will be sent to the datacenter and you will be given your average latency and packet loss.
In OS X, you can do your Fortnite ping test by doing the steps below.
- First, the thing that you have to do is to click on the magnifying glass that can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Then, you need to type Network Utility and choose the result.
- After that, click the Ping tab.
- Now, enter the data center you want to ping in the “Enter the Network Address to Ping” field.
For example: ping-nae.ds.on.epicgames.com
- Then, enter 50 in the “Send Only ___ pings” field.
- And now, click Ping. By doing it, 50 packets will be sent to the data center and then output the results when it is done.
Besides the methods above, there are also other methods for doing Fortnite a ping test. You can access the Ping Detector site. Choose Fortnite on the site and then hit the Test Ping button. Alternatively, according to the Sportskeeda, you can see your ping in Fortnite Chapter 4 by doing these steps.
- First, you need to open the sidebar and go to the Settings menu.
To be able to enable and see your ping, you need to perform in the game. Then, open the sidebar and click on the Settings. Go to the Settings menu.
- Now, you need to turn on the Latency Debug Stats option.
You need to click on the Game UI Settings. It is the third icon on the top menu bar. And then, scroll down under the HUD option where you can find Latency Debug Stats. It shows your Ping in real time when you are playing. It is shown on your screen beside the Ping text in the Milliseconds (ms) format.
- You have to turn on the Net Debug Stats option.
After you turn on your Latency Debug Stats, you can turn on the Net Debug Stats option so that you can see the number of packets sent and received to the servers of the game. It also shows you the packet loss that you are experiencing.
After you turn the options on, you can go to a Battle Royale match and you can see your real-time ping on the top-left corner of the screen.
The Things to Do to Improve Your Ping
After you do the Fortnite ping test and then you find that your ping is high, it may happen because of external factors such as your internet service provider routing. However, the cause can also be on your end. If so, here are the things that you can do as also recommended by Epic Games.
- You are able to use an ethernet cable connection.
It is important for you to know that wireless connections can get interrupted easily and then the signal decreases so that lag happens. If you connect to your modem or router with an ethernet cable, it can get rid of this possibility so that you can have the fastest connection.
- You can try restarting your modem and router.
You can do this by unplugging your modem and router for around 30 seconds and then plug them back in.
- You need to make sure that your router is located in a good location.
Let’s say that your router is located in a place such as the basement, in a cupboard, or even hidden behind other items. It surely can impact the quality of the signal. If it is located in these unideal places, you can move it to a high place without any obstructions. To know whether you put it properly or not, you are able to try putting it in various places and test it by using tools like SpeedTest.net. And choose the place that gives you the fastest speed.
- You can try a different router.
There is a possibility that your router is damaged. So, you can try another router.
- You can try disabling Cosmetic Streaming in Fortnite.
- You can upgrade router firmware.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…