You may want to change your Steam username. But, is it possible? Well, you are able to change your Steam username or profile name, but you are not able to change account name. So, if you want to change your profile name or username, you are able to follow the steps below including other information related to Steam.
Steps to Change Your Steam Username on Mac or PC
Username or Profile name is Steam is a name which appears at the top of the page or in the top right. This is the name that can be seen by your friends and can be used to contact you in the game. You may feel that your old username is not cool so now you think of changing it. Well, based on the information that we got, you are able to change your Steam username on your PC or Mac. How to do that? You are able to see the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do to change your Steam username on Mac or PC is to open the Steam application on your Mac or PC. Then, you have to hover your mouse over your username at the top of the screen which is beside the Library.
- Next thing that you have to do is to choose Profile from the drop down menu.
- Here, you have to find the Edit Profile button on this page and then you have to click it.
- In this step, you have to change your Profile name to the name that you want and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose Save Changes.
It is important to know that Steam saves all your previous usernames. It is done to help people find you after a name change. If you do not want it, you have to go back to your profile page and then you have to click on the arrow beside your username. Now, you have to choose Clear Previous Aliases.
Now, your new name will be shown on your profile page and in any multiplayer game that you play. It is important for you to note that it will not change your account name. When you log into Steam, you will still use the similar username that you always have.
Different from Profile Name or Username, Account Name in Steam is the numeric identifier which is tied to your account. You are not able to change it under any circumstances. If you wonder why you cannot change it, there is no reason for it. However, in the T&Cs of Steam, it is clear that profile names cannot be changed. In the Support page of Steam, you are able to read that your SteamID and Steam Account cannot be changed even by Steam Support staff. However, you are able to change your player name or username at any time in your Steam Community settings that you are able to find under Edit My SteamID page.
Finding My SteamID
SteamID is your Steam account’s unique numeric identifier. If you want to find this, you are able to do the steps below.
- First, you have to launch any Valve multiplayer game.
- After that, you have to click on Options.
- Now, you need to choose the Keyboard tab.
- Here, you have to click on the Advanced button.
- You need to check the box named Enable Developer Console.
- And then, you have to click on Apply and then click on OK.
- You have to join or create a server.
- From the menu screen, you have to press the tilde ~ key which is usually in the upper left hand corner of the keyboard to load the Console.
- Here, you have to type status into the console text field and then you have to press the Enter key.
- Now, your SteamID will be shown beside your nickname in the console window.
How to Keep Our Steam Account Safe
If you want to keep your Steam account safe, there are some efforts that you are able to do. First, you are able to make sure that you have enabled Steam Guard two-factor authentication. By enabling it, you will be sent a code to your email or phone any time other people try to log in from an authorized computer or try to make changes to your account.
Second effort that you are able to do is to use a strong password on your Steam account. It is better for you to use a passphrase rather than a single word. It is because using a passphrase will be more effective as long as you are able to remember it well. You are able to only allow Steam to remember your login details if you are the only one with access to your computer and obviously never share it.
The third thing that you have to do to make your Steam account safe is that you have to ignore emails which come from Steam which ask you for detailed information about you. There are a lot of phishing actions for Steam accounts. So, if you get emails from Steam which ask for details, it is better for you to ignore it. If you get notified of something through an email, you are able to delete the mail but you have to go check it out separately in Steam. If you find that it is a valid email from Steam staff, you are able to do whatever it is you have to do from within Steam.
Privacy Settings in Steam
If you want to set your account to private, you are able to do that. You may have your own reasons why you want to do it. So, here are some steps that you are able to do to set your account to private.
- The first thing that you have to do is to click on My Privacy Setting on the right hand side of the Profile page.
- After that, you have to toggle the options to Friends Only or Private.
You do not have to click on Save because after you have toggled the account information, your new privacy preferences are set. If you have changed your identities over the years, setting your account to private will be the best solution to your account name predicament.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…