For those who love to take care of yourself and to stay healthy, you must know or probably have heard of Planet Fitness. It is one of the best chains of fitness centers in the United States. Not only that, it is also known as one of the biggest with more than 15 million members as of 2020.
If you are a member of Planet Fitness, at some point, there may be a thought of canceling your Planet Fitness membership after being a subscriber for quite some time. The reason can vary, including that you may think it is not right for you anymore or you want to take a break and save money for other things.
Apparently, canceling Planet Fitness membership is not easy and can be confusing because they did not incorporate modern practices. According to the official website of Planet Fitness, there are a total of two methods to cancel Planet Fitness membership. The first one is to stop by your home club and cancel in person and the second one is to send a letter to your home club requesting to cancel. Actually, not every method is available for members like you. It should be noted that everything depends on the cancelation policy of your home club. In order to confirm the cancellation policy of your home club and to start the cancellation process, it is better for you to reach out to your home club.
After finding out the cancelation policy of your home club, first of all, you should understand your Planet Fitness contract. After understanding your Planet Fitness contract, you can start cancelling your membership by following one of the following methods:
Method 1: Cancel Planet Fitness membership in person
If you want to cancel your Planet Fitness membership in person, here is the guide to follow:
- The first thing that you have to do is to write down the information that you will need. This information includes your membership identification number and some of your personal information such as your address, your Social Security Number (SSN), your driver’s license number, and your date of birth.
- Then, write a one page document asking them to cancel your membership since Planet Fitness requires a written cancellation. It is important for you to make sure that it is in accordance with the specifications of the contract. Do not forget to mention in the letter that you want your cancellation fee waived if eligible. Besides, you should also state the reason why. The next thing that you have to note is the documentation that comes with the letter. In addition, you should also include the last four digits of your Social Security Number or SSN and your driver’s license number. When everything is done, sign the letter.
- After writing the letter, the next thing that you have to do is to call the Membership Services department and ask them the available hours. When you know the available hours, ask them to request a meeting to cancel your membership.
- On the day of meeting with the representative, tell them that you want to cancel your membership.
- Aside from that, do not forget to give them the written documentation.
- Then, ask them for a signature from an employee as it is important as a proof that you cancelled your membership and it may be needed in the future.
- To make sure that your membership is cancelled, settle up any cancellation fees.
- It is also better for you to ask for the name and the number of an appropriate contact person just in case you face an issue after canceling it.
- The ninth step is to monitor your credit card or bank statements. Go contact the club if monthly or annual charges appear even though it should not have to.
- If any extra charges were taken out, just all Membership Services.
- If the club still asks you to pay, visit the club and show them the cancellation in writing to prove that you have cancelled it.
Method 2: Cancel Planet Fitness membership by sending a letter
For those who want to cancel Planet Fitness membership by sending a letter, the instructions that you have to follow include:
- First of all, you should buy the postage for certificate mail. Feel free to do it at the post office or online.
- Then, gather your letter together. Make sure to include a letter requesting the cancellation of membership. You should also include all documentation, personal information, and justification for waiving your fees. In the letter, you should also ask them to send a notice of cancellation in writing and to provide a phone call to confirm your membership is cancelled.
- After writing the letter, take it to the post office.
- In case you do not get notice that your membership was cancelled, call the club.
- Lastly, check your accounts. Make sure that there are no monthly or annual charges aside from what you have agreed to pay. Just go to Planet Fitness and show the proof of cancellation if you find them.
As stated before, there are only two ways to cancel Planet Fitness membership, according to the official website of Planet Fitness. These include canceling it in person and sending a letter. What about canceling a Planet Fitness membership on the app? Does it mean there is no way to do it on the app?
While there is no information about canceling Planet Fitness membership on the app on the official website of Planet Fitness, useline.com states that it is possible to do it by contacting the customer service. When on the Planet Fitness app, find the Customer Service button and then follow all the instructions.
Whatever method you choose, one thing for sure is that you will need to provide some information to be able to cancel your Planet Fitness membership. These things include the statement of intent to cancel membership, your name, your address, your phone number, your email address, your date of birth, your membership ID, and the last 4 digits of the credit card that is associated with your account.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…