Science packs are the items which are available in Factorio laboratory to do research. However, when doing any technology researches, they will require a certain number of the different types of science packs, then, it’s multiplied by a certain value to get the tech cost.
In addition, Physical projectile damage 3 will need one automation science pack and also one logistic science pack as well as one military science pack to start researching. However, this really needs to be input labs a total of 200 times which can increase the research cost to 300 automation science packs, 300 military science packs and 300 logistic science packs.
What Are the Items You’ll Find in Science Lab?
Of course, there are numerous items that you can find in the Science lab. Here are they:
- Automation science pack
This pack is the first tier of science pack which is commonly used in labs to research technologies.
- Logistic science pack
This pack is the second tier of science pack which is usually used in labs to research technologies.
- Military science pack
This pack is one of the four early game science packs, the other three are the automation science pack, the logistic science pack and chemical science pack. The military science pack is commonly used for research which allows you to advance their military strength through the entire game.
Aside from that, this pack will also unlock more bullet choice, turrets, gun options and many more. Moreover, this is the only type of science pack which is optional due to it not required to launch the rocket.
- Chemical science pack
This pack is the third tier of the science pack which is usually used in labs to research technologies.
- Production science pack
This is one of the three late-game packs, the other two are the space science pack and the utility science pack.
- Utility science pack
This is one of the three late-game packs, the other two are the space science pack and the production science pack.
- Space science pack
This is an end-game science pack.Unlike the other science packs, this pack is not directly craftable. Alternatively, it’s gained by launching a rocket from a rocket silo which is equipped with a satellite. In this case, 1000 space science packs are gained each time a rocket with a satellite is launched.
The rocket silo will hold no more than 2000 space science packs. Then, the remaining science packs will be discarded when launching the rocket with a satellite. In other words, space science packs can be used in all infinite technologies.
This space science pack will be required for the satellite which is combined with the rocket silo, used to get the science pack. For your information, the space science pack will be launched in the rocket to get raw fish.
You should know that one science pack can be converted to one fish, somehow one rocket can at most return one stack of raw fish, meaning if launching more than 100 space science packs, it will return only 100 fish and waste all extra science packs.
Recipe of Science Lab Packs
This post also give you a recipe of each science pack that you can do, here it is:
Automation science pack
- Recipe: timer (5) + copper plate (1) + iron gear wheel (1) = Automation science pack (1)
- Total raw: time (5.5), iron plate (2) copper plate (1)
Logistic science pack
- Recipe: timer (6) + inserter (1) + transport belt (1) = Logistic science pack (1)
- Total raw: time (8.75), iron plate (5.5) copper plate (1.5)
Military science pack
- Recipe: timer (10) + piercing rounds magazine (1) + grenade (1) + wall (2) = Military science pack (2)
- Total raw: time (23), iron plate (9) copper plate (5), steel plate (1), coal (10) and stone brick (10)
Chemical science pack
- Recipe: timer (24) + inserter (3) + engine unit (2) + sulfur (1) = Chemical science pack (2)
- Total raw: time (52.5), iron plate (6) copper plate (15), engine unit (2), plastic bar (6) and sulfur (1)
Production science pack
- Recipe: timer (21) + electric furnace (1) + productivity module (1) + rail (30) = Production science pack (3)
- Total raw: time (153.5), iron plate (32.5), copper plate (57.5), steel plate (25), plastic bar (20), stone (50) and stone brick (10)
Utility science pack
- Recipe: timer (21) + inserter (1) + low density structure (3) + processing unit (2) = Utility science pack (3)
- Total raw: time (104.75), iron plate (3) copper plate (64.5), steel plate (7), plastic bar (15), battery (2), processing unit (2) and electric engine unit (1)
Space science pack
- Recipe: space science pack (1000) per launched satellite
- Total raw: time (300), iron plate (43.7) copper plate (101.8), steel plate (27), plastic bar (19.9), solid fuel (10.5) and sulfuric acid (15,5)
Here’s How to Create a Science Pack!
Need to know that the science packs and the research are meant to lead the players through the game by gradually raising in complexity. Initially, the players should create an automation science pack by hand to research automation.
After that, they should create automation and logistic science automatically and to automatically feed the science packs into labs. Those science packs actually allow the research of the most basic technologies.
If the pack is needed as the enemies, the players can then create military science packs to allow unlocking higher tier combat-oriented products. Unlike previous science packs, military science will produce two packs per crafting cycle versus just one percycle from automation or logistics.
After the military science pack, the chemical science pack must be created then. However, this pack will incorporate a new ‘raw’intermediary. Well, the plastic bars are needed to harvest and process crude oil.
The next goal is to create the production science packs which are a fair jump in complexity because the required products have a few different intermediaries. The final stage is utility science packs which are the most complex packs to create where it requires a large chain of intermediate products.
Additionally, the space science packs are produced from launching satellites through rockets and thus are hard to automate effectively without massive resource-hungry bases. Unlike other science packs, space science packs are premiumly used to research repeating/ infinite technologies such as gun turret damage and mining productivity.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…