Recently, the CSULB students can no longer log into myCSULB through the Okta login page. In fact, the login portal for CSULB has been turned into SSO (Single Sign-On), previously Okta login. Now, the Okta login page is no longer supported, so the CSULB students can log in through the SSO login page.
In fact, CSULB SSO has given a number of benefits for both students and employees. You may also try to use the CSULB SSO service to log into your myCSULB login portal. Unfortunately, you don’t know the link to access the CSULB SSO page. No worries! This post will show you anything about Single Sign-On (SSO) service in our post.
What Is Single Sign-On (SSO)?
Single Sign-On (SSO) is a technology that allows the network users to access network resources with only one user account. In other words, SSO is a session and user authentication service to permit a user to use a one set of login credentials.
With the use of SSO, you can access multiple applications with only a name and password. Most SSO work by checking the user credentials against a separate identity management service. Keep in mind, SSO does not remember who you are, as it does not store your identity.
Anytime you sign into an SSO service, it will create an authentication token to remember that you are verified. In this case, an authentication token is a piece of digital information that is stored either in your browser or within the SSO service’s servers such as a temporary ID card issued to the user.
Any apps that you access will check with the SSO service. Then, it will pass the user’s authentication token to the app and you are allowed in. If you have not yet signed in, you will be required to sign in through the SSO service.
What Benefits Do the CSULB Get When Using the SSO Service?
California State University Long Beach (CSULB) uses the Single Sign-On (SSO) service for login. The SSO service that the CSULB uses will transition from Okta to Microsoft My Apps. So, the students or employees who want to login and access myCSULB portal will be directed to https://sso.csulb.edu/.
With the use of the Single Sign-On (SSO) service, CSULB get two most noticeable benefits that SSO service gives, here are for benefits:
- To allow the Microsoft Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) process simpler
The Single Sign-On (SSO) service allows the users to simply process the MFA. However, the Microsoft MFA will be required only once after you log into the SSO. It means that if you use SSO, it will no longer require Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
Well, all applications in SSO are protected with Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). If you are an employee and currently use DUO MFA, it surely will remain in place until further notice.
- A new streamlined book
The Single Sign-On (SSO) webpage will have a new look and the apps will appear in alphabetical order.
Certainly, there will be no change when you are using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), because the SSO enhancement appears to be a seamless backend technical service change.
There are a number of key changes and benefits that you can get when working with CSULB SSO. Here are they:
- New SSO Login Page
The Single Sign-On (SSO) will change to a CSULB branded Microsoft login page. Let’s see the picture below!
- New SSO Apps Dashboard
All available apps (tiles) will reside in a new landing page that is shown by the following picture:
- More Convenient and Secure
MFA service will be required when SSO login. However, it will not be prompted for individual applications. It means that all SSO Services will be protected by MFA when SSI login.
However, you will be required to re-authenticate with MFA for your protection, Common Management Services including Student Center (myCSULB), Faculty Center, Employee Center and HR applications, if you choose one of those services in SSO and have not been required for MFA within 60 minutes.
To note, if you are an employee and currently use Duo MFA for Common Management Service Finance, it will remain in place until further notice.
How to Use the CSULB SSO Service?
To use the SSO service, you may have to set new bookmarks or adjust your business steps, as a result of the transition of Single Sign-On (SSO). To access the CSULB SSO, you need to go to sso.csulb.edu. Once you access it, you will see a new look. Here, you need to replace existing bookmarks within your browser.
To create a bookmark on your mobile device, you may need some following ways:
On iPhone Home Screen
- If you want to add the site to your iPhone Home Screen, you need to open Safari.
- Then, go to sso.csulb.edu.
- Touch the ‘Share’ button located at the bottom of the page. The Share button looks like a square shape with an arrow that points out of the top.
- You need to scroll down in the list of options until you find the ‘Add to Home Screen’ option. Then, tap this option.
- Then, choose a name for the website shortcut on your home screen. Afterwards, you may see the link, so you can confirm it and the site’s favicon that becomes its ‘ap’ icon. Then, click the ‘Add’ option when it’s done.
- Now, you can only tap the new app on your home screen to open the site in its own navigation window.
On Android Home Screen
- If you want to add the site on Android, you should open Chrome.
- Then, go to sso.csulb.edu.
- You can then touch the menu button represented by a three dots icon in the top Address bar.
- You can choose ‘Add to Home Screen’ in the list of options that appears.
- Choose a name for the website shortcut on your homescreen. Afterwards, you may see the link, so you can confirm it and the site’s favicon that becomes its ‘ap’ icon. Then, click the ‘Add’ option when it’s done.
- Now, you can only tap the new app on your home screen to open the site in its own navigation window, independent of what you have open in Google Chrome.
On my daily job, I am a software engineer, programmer & computer technician. My passion is assembling PC hardware, studying Operating System and all things related to computers technology. I also love to make short films for YouTube as a producer. More at about me…